Zaandam Review

Review for Canada & New England Cruise on Zaandam
Crazy For Cats
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Sep 2023

Getting to Montreal was a challenge. When we woke up at 2am we discovered that our 7pm flight was cancelled. We were rescheduled to different flights that too were cancelled. After a couple of calls we were booked on a flight to Montreal with a layover in Halifax. Eventually we landed in Montreal around 11 pm. We booked hotel and transfers through HAL and I notified them of our new flights and arrival time. When we landed I called the number that the HAL rep told us to call. After two calls and voicemails we called the hotel. They spoke with HAL, called us back and told us to take a taxi since it was after hours. Why the HAL rep didn’t share that information earlier is a mystery. The hotel told us that if we saved the taxi receipt we would get a refund. Surprisingly this was accurate information and we received OBC within two days.

We took the transfer from the hotel to the ship. At times it seemed as though this was their first time doing this, even though it wasn’t. Embarkation went quickly but was very odd. We showed passports and boarding docs and were quickly checked in. We had to show it again getting into the baggage screening line. Seemed a bit much since we never left the secure area. I took six steps before someone else needed to see my boarding pass again. That truly felt like I was targeted to be hassled. After that boarding the ship was a breeze and though tired we were ready to begin another adventure.

When we got to our cabin we discovered that an excursion we had waitlisted was available and we were automatically added to the excursion. A charge appeared on our shipboard account. Eventually this excursion was cancelled by the tour operator, both buses had mechanical problems. While the tour and tickets were removed we were not credited with a refund or removal of the charge. I asked on the Navigator app when would this be removed. The reply was interesting. They had take the excursion credits we used ahead of the cruise and applied them to the waitlisted excursion. That money was put back as future excursion credits. I complained loudly. Eventually I had the charge removed. Why HAL didn’t just undo what they did is beyond me and smacks of an attempt to get more money out of a guest. They should have just charged us for the new excursion without using any book keeping tricks. Keep it simple so that it’s clear what is happening.

11 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Zaandam Cruise from $249

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.