Viking Rinda Review

10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Aug 2023
Cabin: Deluxe Stateroom

Originally we were supposed to take the Russia River Cruise with Viking, so we had to choose an alternate cruise instead. This one sounded great as it included many ports that neither my husband nor I had been to. The Transylvania add-on was also a big motivator. We enjoyed the pre-cruise stays in Bucharest and Brasov, nice hotels and great locations. Once we boarded the Rinda, thinks began to go downhill. Let me emphasize that the issues were not with the staff, they were all outstanding. The faults were with the ship and the food, both which did not meet expectations. Some of the cabins on the second floor had a terrible smell emanating from the shower drain. This was a problem previously reported on CruiseCritic, but it should not be thought of as a minor issue. Indeed a fellow passenger became ill, an allergic reaction to the smell. We had a room on the first floor, and did not have an issue with any smells. Also we had norovirus onboard, and the staff did not feel that news was something that should have been shared with the passengers. As we started to hear about people getting sick I though they should have advised us to be especially careful about coming in contact with shared surfaces and perhaps suggesting ways that we could protect ourselves. That did not happen. Lastly, the food was not very good. Once again, the service was outstanding, but the poor food quality was a great surprise as we always though that Viking was reputed for excellent on-board cuisine. However, I must mention that all efforts were made to ensure that my dietary requirements (gluten-free) were met. Gluten free cereal, toast, pancakes, etc. were always available and I was provided with the menus a day early in order to ensure that my meals were prepared as required. Lastly I must mention the cruise director Leonard, he was the best thing about the cruise, and he was entertaining, informative and had a wonderful sense of humour. There was no gym, something that I really missed as I do yoga daily and there was no alternative location available. Last year we were on an Avalon River cruise, and, if we choose to go on another river cruise, it will be with Avalon and not Viking.

Deluxe Stateroom

Nice cabin, certainly not spacious, but enough space and closet/storage space. However, what is with the side tables next to the bed? They are too small to be of any real use. The bathroom was clean and had lots of space for toiletries. Movie selection was VERY limited however we were able to get BBC, Fox and MSNBC. We were also able to see the events being held in the lounge on our television. Internet was ok, a little slow but still we did not have any real issues sending emails. Comfortable bed and the cabin was kept spotless by our room steward.

2 Helpful Votes
next review

Find a Viking Rinda Cruise from $5,299

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.