• Newsletter
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Royal Princess Review

Hold on to your wallet cruise!

Review for Alaska Cruise on Royal Princess
dmangrycruiser
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Aug 2023
Cabin: Balcony

The itinerary was shortened at two ports: Ketchikan and Victoria. Apparently to accommodate other ships. Victoria excursion came so late on the last day that it was virtually useless. Entertainment was below average overall. Music was often too loud in the midship plaza area which made conversation impossible. Food was OK but not as good as Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. Seating in the buffet restaurant for the breakfast and lunch rushes would fill easily. My number one complaint was the limited drink packages offered. If you are a drinker of alcoholic beverages you would have to sign up for their plus package. This would require both members in you cabin to participate, bundled with very weak wi-fi and prepaid gratuities for $840. This was the best value offered and really no way around it. If you went a la carte, you would pay typically $10 cocktails, $7 beers, $11 wine, $4 soda & bottled water. No included basic bottled water without paying!

As mentioned above the wi-fi was weak and unreliable. Sometimes I could not even get a text to go through. I was forced to try to stream ESPN from my home service on my tablet to watch college football. Not a chance. I tried many locations around the ship to get a strong enough signal with no luck. When I asked guest services for help they were clueless. Their onboard TV has no main networks, No CNN, No ESPN. Just wall to wall tennis and soccer on some sub sports channel. I asked for an appointment with the cruise director and he stood me up twice. He was always in a meeting. Latter that day I saw him dancing by himself on the plaza floor to one of his too loud bands. In disgust I hand wrote him a note on ways he could improve customer satisfaction. Enough of my whining, but this was by far my worst cruise experience. After I booked this cruise I noticed that Princess is actually owned by Carnival which should have thrown up a red flag. For a good cruise, I recommend Celibrity, Holland America, or Royal Caribbean.

Balcony

Good sized balcony room. Large closet, comfortable bed but carpet was stained and worn. The bathroom had two problems: The shower water temperature could not be adjusted with the water on. You would have to close the on/off valve to relieve pressure, then adjust the temp knob, then turn the water on again. You would have to repeat this process until you achieved the proper temp. Secondly the shower drain barely worked. You would stand in 3" of water while you showered and would need to hurry before the basin overflowed. This cabin was starboard side aft (toward rear) When the ship was at full cruise speed of 21 knots, the propellers or drive shafts created a significant vibration. My wife had serious difficulty applying her make-up and at times sleeping because of the shaking.

9 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Royal Princess Cruise from $178

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.