Amadeus Silver III Review

Would not recommend if you are a picky traveler

Review for Europe River Cruise on Amadeus Silver III
1st_rivercruise
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Aug 2023

Cruise was with an alumni association and the itinerary looked good. The Amadeus Silver 3 is promoted as having the luxury of a 5 star hotel, but in my opinion fell far short, and it was not priced as an economy cruise. It was a combination of many small things that were frustrating. Despite there being a heat wave, a 1 liter water bottle in the cabin is filled twice a day. Any additional portable water has to be purchased at the hospitality desk. There were no readily available water refill stations on the ship. It is not always that easy to refill or purchase bottles on excursions. There is no ice bucket or ice available in the cabins. There are soap and shampoo dispensers in the bathrooms, but the liquid soap seemed watered down and ineffective. The bed consists of two twin beds pushed together. This is normal on cruises, but on other cruises I never noticed such a crack where they join. There is not a top sheet, but two rather short duvets that cannot be tucked in and constantly shift. Laundry prices are high so I did not use. The staffing at the front desk was usually one person that also was answering the phone. The internet on the ship is not reliable or consistent. On several occasions there was a noticeable sewer smell on the top deck especially near the front of the boat. The shower head did not work well. There were a few drinks in the refrigerator but no price list so I did not use. The food was usually good and the lunch and breakfast buffets were convenient and what you expect for a buffet. Ketchup was never provided at the buffet for french fries and did not arrive on time when requested at the table. The service was generally good but seemed to slow down toward the end of the cruise. On one occasion one of the waiters appeared sick, sneezing into his hands and wiping his face with bare hands (I saw many passengers with a cold during the cruise). Our cabin was near the rear of the ship and engine noise was significant, so if you are bothered by noise consider not booking if you cannot get a cabin away from the back. Many of the staff are smokers that use the designated smoking area on the top deck, but several times I noticed the smoke works it way into the lounges and another passenger I spoke with noticed smoke smell in the bathroom, apparently drifting in through the exhaust. Although unrelated to Amadeus, AHI Travel commonly handles the bookings for US passengers. We used their Flex Air and they made a big mistake on the flights (no connecting flight to the return to the US). Fortunately we noticed it. It is not possible to speak with the travel department directly and it was a hassle getting that straightened out. I also think there were better connections if we would have made our own flight reservations.

See above

6 Helpful Votes
next review

Find a cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.