Discovery Princess Review

CruiseRGR
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Apr 2023
Polly and Jill on a party boat excursion at Cabo San Lucas.
Polly and me (Riki) at the beautiful beach resort in Puerto Vallarta.
Polly and Jill in the wakeview pool.
The three single beds in our large and comfortable handicapped accessible Junior Suite.
Polly is the “Dancing Queen” at an evening dance party on the deck.

I was so excited for this cruise because I got a great deal on a Junior Suite and took two friends who had never cruised before. I booked the cruise far in advance because I need a handicapped accessible room. Our room was wonderful but it’s easy to see this new ship also has new and inexperienced staff. My husband and I took several Princess cruises prior to his death in January of 2000. Quality is still good on Discovery Princess, and my cruise mates had nothing to compare it to so they had fewer complaints, but it’s easy for a person with pre-Covid Princess experience to see the many cost-cutting measures necessary to make up for nearly three years of losses. The absolute worst thing about Discovery is the placement of the casino open to the middle deck of the Piazza. Unlike other ships, the casino doors stay wide open whenever the casino is open allowing cigarette smoke to flood the surrounding area. Immediately upon boarding we could smell the overwhelming odor of cigarette smoke in the Piazza area. By the fourth day of our 7-day Mexico cruise I was so sick from my cigarette smoke allergy and asthma symptoms that I had to spend the rest of the trip in our room. Whoever changed the design to put the casino open to the Piazza should be fired and never allowed to design cruise ships again. I’m disabled and was only able to take this last cruise because my two friends were also my caregivers. It was a sad way to end my cruising days. I’m surprised that more reviews of the Discovery don’t mention this horrible design oversight. Princess should put a warning about the cigarette smoke in the Piazza area so other people with breathing issues select a different ship. An upside is the Medallion and pre-cruise registration made embarkation a breeze. The Princess Plus program is a great bargain also.

The cabin was a handicapped accessible Junior Suite with an extended balcony. The room was excellent and we particularly liked having the medallion that opened the door automatically.

Port Reviews

Cabo San Lucas

I’m disabled and can’t use a tender. My two cruise mates enjoyed their day in Cabo and went on a party boat with lots of free food and drinks. They danced and had a great time.

Puerto Vallarta

We went by bus on an excursion to a beautiful beach resort where the staff pampered us all day. It was a great experience!

16 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Discovery Princess Cruise from $237

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.