Norwegian Jade Review

Amazing Ports of Call & A Good Value

Review for the Eastern Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Jade

Value for Money

Sail Date: Aug 2023
Family cabin (see fold down bed on right wall.)
Meal at Cagney’s steakhouse
Breakfast meal
Salad at Le Bistro
Lobster at Le Bistro
Dessert
Roddy played in Magnum’s most evenings and was very enjoyable

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip. This was my first NCL cruise (I usually prefer Princess.). I traveled solo and appreciated NCL efforts to gather solo travelers. Many of us did end up eating meals or attending entertainment together. I picked this cruise because of the 11 day trip with Ports of call including Greek Islands, Israel, Istanbul & Ephesus Turkey. I booked through Vacations to Go within 90 days of sailing and got an excellent deal. It was a great way to see a lot of beautiful and significant places. The food and service were mostly very good. I had one evening meal in main dining room where service was slow and food could have been better. (They were very busy that night and it was later.). I had 3 specialty dining meals in Cagneys and Le Bistro and they were exceptional! Food was fantastic and the service amazing. Lobster was well worth the up charge.) I wasn’t able to get in at Tappenyaki—it was in high demand. The Chinese restaurant that is complimentary just had so-so food. (Service was very good though.). The excursions I took from ship were pretty enjoyable but explanations/details could be better. My biggest disappointment of the trip was Ephesus. We had way too short had of time in Ephesus and felt like I didn’t get to see everything there I wanted to see. I also probably chose the wrong excursion because they felt so similar to each other. Also I felt like Lindos Acropolis excursion in Rhodes should be listed as level 3. There are 250+ small marble steps straight up—climb is much harder than acropolis in Athens. I gave up and enjoyed the village area. I met a fellow solo traveler from Germany who had her German speaking excursions cancelled because of a small number who booked in German and I felt sorry for her on that. The lines for Guest services were often long. I had a refund due from on board credit and was surprised I had to cash that out in person. They had some very talented entertainers not only in the Theater but also in lounges. I particularly liked the couple who had an Arial act, Elements, a guitar/vocal duo, and the piano player. The ship sailed at full capacity but for the most part it didn’t feel overcrowded. Andrea at Guest Services went out of her way to welcome those from Cruise Critic and I appreciated that. Most of the bar and restaurant staff were efficient and friendly. This is not the latest ship with all the activities but it was a great vacation for a port intensive itinerary.

(Did reserved a guaranteed cabin and was assigned.). It was a nice forward inside cabin with a great steward. I didn’t feel much motion in this cabin. There were a few times when I could hear noise from the theater which was below me. It is a family cabin but as a solo I didn’t need fold out. The folding bed made it a bit narrow to get in and out of bed from right side. Over all very comfortable but not fancy. For what i paid it was a great bargain.

Port Reviews

Athens (Piraeus)

Lots to do in Athens. Glad I stayed extra before and after sailing.

Jerusalem (Ashdod)

Ashdod was a good jumping off point for day in Jerusalem. Even with the need to do Israeli security things went smoothly. Crew did a good job.

Kusadasi

Our time in this port was way too short given need to drive to Ephesus on bus. Amazing archeological location.

Haifa (Tel Aviv)

I’m glad I had a guide that could come to where ship was docked. I felt sorry for people who made private arrangements/took taxis when coming back to port as gate was far and shuttles not as frequent as they could have been. Lots of great things to do including Caesarea Maritima, Sea of Galilee.

Patmos

Probably my favorite port on this trip. Just beautiful. I went to cave of the apocalypse and St John’s Monastery. Excellent tour guide. Nice little restaurants and shops.

Santorini

Beautiful with nice views and shopping. Do not wait too late to catch cable car back.

5 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Jade Cruise from $523

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.