Queen Elizabeth Review

Missed out on the main attraction

Review for Australia & New Zealand Cruise on Queen Elizabeth
BaciamoAddesso
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2022

I chose this cruise to spend Christmas day in Milford Sound in New Zealand. It was to be the highlight and is a long held bucket list item, as well as an amazing opportunity for wildlife photography. I had an excursion booked for that purpose (several over the course of the cruise). Instead, they hadn't had the ship hull cleaned in order to pass the strict environmental standards of Customs NZ. They knew this in harbour in Melbourne, but did not tell the passengers until we were 12 hours out to sea. Other cruise lines did the same, but most others did comply and were able to visit the Sound without problems.

Instead, we sailed around in dreary weather down the coast of Tasmania, seeing and doing absolutely nothing. Our 'compensation' was a pathetic bottle of no name wine, nearly as bad as the complimentary 'champagne', (in truth a poor imitation of cheap and nasty vinegar). I since saw on other posts that particular vintage is a sad joke in the cruising fraternity.

So, I wasted 3 days of the cruise, several thousand dollars for a balcony suite with no views, and any chance of meeting my goal for the cruise. Unimpressed? Mightily, so they could save some money in port.

COmfortable, convenient and well designed, if a bit dull.

1 Helpful Vote
previous reviewnext review

Find a Queen Elizabeth Cruise from $499

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.