• Newsletter

2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jul 2023

I chose this cruise for my family reunion because of the destination. We had never been to Jamaica, and won't be going back, nor will we ever cruise with Carnival. This was our first cruise with Carnival and our last. We planned this vacation for over a year, with over 20 family members. We were celebrating high school graduation and birthdays during this cruise. We have sailed with other cruise lines and have always had the most awesome experiences and figured this one shouldn't be any different. I'm still so very disappointed and angry at how awful the cruise was and how dismissive I've been treated after returning. It's not about the money, it's about the memories and experiences. You get one chance to make a good first impression and boy has that ship sailed, leaving a bad taste in my mouth literally. I'm allergic to seafood and that was noted on my sail sheets but the meals offered were mostly shrimp cocktail, fried shrimp, shrimp scampi, shrimp this and shrimp that. If I wanted to eat a GOOD steak, well that would be an extra $23usd every meal except one. I wrote a post cruise email as this is the preferred method of contact post cruise. I've called to speak with someone about my experience and my email but I've been told they are running several months behind due to computer issues but someone will respond.I would like to speak with someone about my cruise. This was by far the worst experience we've had cruising. The very first night I complained about the food selections and lack of variety. I've had better hospital food and that's exactly what the food put you in the mind of because it was brought into the dining room on huge trays with lids on top of every plate. The dessert selections were no better. I presume they starve you to force guests to the sweet shops, the shake shop and other shops to make you spend MORE money. It's pretty sad when the best thing offered was Guy's Burger joint. The dining experiences were no better, except breakfast, especially since there was an extra charge to eat from the menu something appetizing. if you like dry chicken or tough strip loin steak, that's on the menu most evenings, the buffet was worse. They ran out of bacon for breakfast the second day. I've eaten better buffet at Golden Corral and Western Sizzlin.

The noise up and down the halls at night was relentless, banging on the doors as they ran by. I did call to complain and yes it did stop as long as security was on standby. The two pool options were smaller than my own pool and so overcrowded you couldn't dip your toe in without being on top of someone. The salt in the pools was stronger than sea water, you couldn't get in without saying excuse me for falling on top of someone and my eyes burned so bad as it ran down my face after going in for a dip. I opted not to use the pools because it felt like a hot salty bath. I used the outdoor showers to get wet and enjoy the sun. The value for the money spent, I could have planned so many other destinations, we had over 10 cabin's and all our family were utterly disappointed. I had heard that Carnival was not a very good cruise line but chose to find out for myself.

The only reason we chose Carnival was for the Jamaica stop, but do we regret that. Nobody associated with Carnival advised us not to take a bus into town because they will rip you off and that's exactly what happened. We wanted to go shopping, we were taken to one store where I was told by Lisa I could get my hair braided for cheap. $200 later my hair looked like my 6 year old granddaughter braided it and as soon as we returned to the ship I took it down. We did not even get off the ship in Grand Cayman for fear of a similar experience. We have been to Cozumel on many cruises and have always been treated well. My entire family will not ever cruise with Carnival again. Thanks for the lasting memories. I'm planning my next vacation for next year because this did not feel like a vacation at all. Carnival did not meet our expectations.

Balcony

6 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Carnival Vista Cruise from $427

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.