Norwegian Getaway Review

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jun 2023
Cabin: Balcony
Traveled with children

We took our first transatlantic cruise and had two rooms for a family of seven. We haven’t cruised since before Covid. Based on the reviews I was quite worried. Concerns were all overstated. I am at a loss for all the negative reviews. As far as I can tell, some people just cannot create their own fun. I was worried about overcrowding. Nothing of the sort. Granted, it was a transatlantic which are normally less busy. But this one was sold out. So there lots of people for sure. And there were a few times we had to wait for things. But nothing even remotely unbearable. We did everything we wanted to do. We made reservations for the shows and were still able to change them in the cruise. Wanted to go the earlier show when our reservation was for the later show. No problem. Just got in the standby line 20 minutes prior to performance and it was all just fine. The noodle bar was a wait and we waited in line 30 minutes or so prior. But we still did it twice on the cruise. It was so good.

As far as food, the concerns are so overstated it is ridiculous. People are talking about inedible food. I literally read one real view that said anything outside a specialty restaurant was worthless. I was so concerned I booked us five nights at speciality restaurants for the family. It was way too much. The free restaurants were all great. We never had a single issue at all. And by the end, as much as we liked the specialty restaurants, we wished we would have saved our money. We had so much food that by the end we just didn’t even want to eat anymore. A couple nights we went to the buffet just to get some crepes or something light. But anyone who is concerned about the food should set those concerns aside. It is just fine. And the staff is exceptional. We had a specialty restaurant that was pushing the time for a show. They let us leave and go to the show and come back and finish up dinner later. They accommodated our every need.

As far as our cabin, I was glad that upgraded when prices went down to the larger balcony. That was money well spent, we had one larger balcony room and the a normal balcony for the kids. In our larger balcony we could lay out lounger chairs and that we quite nice especially with so many sea days. But there was never a single time that we went to the pool where we could not get loungers that we wanted. And the shop was full (perhaps fewer people per cabin-far fewer families-reduced the total numbers slightly).

Balcony

Great cabin. Best choice I made was paying a couple hundred more to get the larger balcony on deck 9 for our room (kids survived with a normal balcony). There is an even larger balcony on deck 8 but that one was substantially more money and so I think we did it about right. We could see the deck 8 balcony right below us and it was extended out. So there is really not much privacy for those extended balconies. But the space looks nice and we would have enjoyed it with all seven of us.

Port Reviews

Great Stirrup Cay

It was raining and in the afternoon they shut the beach down cause of a storm. But I was glad we got to stop as I had read lots of shops don’t. The fish tacos were excellent. walking around was fun. We didn’t do the zip line or any excursions. And we went back to the ship early given the rain. But it would be a good beach day with the weather.

Port Canaveral (Orlando)

We had a rental car and could have managed that better. I dropped four off at the shop and two were meeting us separately. We were some of the last to board. But then I had to take the rental car back and get a ride back to the ship. It worked out fine but I wasn’t fully prepared for the process.

5 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Getaway Cruise from $311

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.