• Newsletter
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Viking Skaga Review

Somewhat disappointed in this Viking cruise

Review for Europe River Cruise on Viking Skaga
Veteran-traveler
2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jun 2023
Cabin: French Balcony Stateroom

We had been WOWED by our Danube Cruise a few years ago and decided to visit Paris/Normandy with Viking. Our cabin was nowhere as good as the same on the Danube. Was told by the crew that the Seine ships are smaller in width. If true, then Viking should have created a design with fewer cabins and more space. (However, $$$ are always the decision maker) See my cabin review. Food was above average but not fabulous. Dining room seemed to be short staffed as it required chasing down servers to get items and refills. However, service was still good considering that the staff had to work very hard to take care of everyone. Our tour Director was excellent and made the trip much more enjoyable as she (Mimi) did some of the walking tours herself. The docking at the various ports was excellent as you could easily walk off the ship and stroll the nearby towns. Paris site was near the Eiffel Tower and close by to Metro access. The Normandy tour was very disappointing and not what I expected. Half the day (and lunch - which was dismal) were spent at the Caen Museum which is geared towards a review of WWI and WWII etc. with a section at the end that dealt with D-Day and Normandy. As a Vietnam era Navy veteran, I was very interested in D-Day history and actually seeing the many sites of the invasion. We did see the Cemetary and participated in a wreath ceremony arranged by Viking. Following that we did a "very brief" visit to Omaha Beach where we could walk out onto the sand and see what our brave soldiers saw when landing. However, I would have preferred to come directly to Omaha Beach for the "entire tour" and visited the museums, bunkers, etc. I recommended to Viking in my departure survey that they should offer an "alternative in-depth tour" for those who would like to really get into the D-Day history. There is so much there to be seen and the included Viking tour fell way short on delivering. I suggest you arrange with an Independant tour company in Roen to go with for that day's tour. It would also be helpful if the tour guide was a military veteran who "understands" and can relate what happened on June 6th. Preferably a US Vet if visiting Omaha Beach.

French Balcony Stateroom

Had the same category cabin on the Danube cruise but this was substantially SMALLER. Bed was very close to the sliding window and very close to dresser/vanity. "No chairs to sit in". Just the bed. Would not recommend this cabin category as it is not very comfortable for relaxing. Difficult for 2 people to move about.

4 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Viking Skaga Cruise from $2,499

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.