MSC Fantasia Review

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jun 2023
Traveled with children

I decided to write a review for our MCS Fantasia cruise because I found there to be a lack of information out there on some basic questions and hope this will help fill in gaps for the next family that tries to partake on a cruise like this. Some of this will be review of the MSC cruise itself, and some other information that might help with planning and execution.

Background: We took a family vacation in June, 2023, on MSC Fantasia. It was labeled as the “Northern Europe – 7 Nights” but now labeled as “Baltic Sea – 7 Nights.” The cruise departed from Kiel, Germany and went to Copenhagen, Tallinn, Helsinki, and Stockholm, with two days at sea. We chose this cruise because it was affordable and allowed us to get 4 different countries in one cruise, plus Germany where we embarked. We stayed in a balcony room and booked directly through the MSC Cruise USA website. Admittedly, using a travel agent might have helped with some of these questions.

Overall: I give a solid 3.5 stars. There were goods and bads to the trip. First, this is not an American cruise line, it’s an Italian cruise line. The cruise was predominantly European. Personally, I enjoyed the different nationalities and being one of the few Americans onboard. It gave me an opportunity to refresh my foreign language skills and get a new experience. I think some people forget this and think it is going to like a cruise they take from the U.S. to the Caribbean.

Port Reviews

Copenhagen

Copenhagen: Ship was in port for about 8 hours. The ship docked in Oceankaj terminal, northwest of the city center, and not within walking distance. We opted not to do an excursion and just see the sights on our own. MSC has a shuttle bus that will take you to the Little Mermaid statute for ~€16 per person. We did not choose this as it seemed too much to pay €48 for a 10-minute bus ride. We went with a hop-on/hop-off bus option that was also at the terminal. For about €80 we got the same transportation to the Little Mermaid statue but also transportation to all of the major sights. We went with City Sightseeing and were happy with them. They will drop you off at Little Mermaid and then you can get on one of the normal routes. They have earphones and a prerecorded audio talking about the sights as you pass them. Word of caution though, keep an eye on your time! Both the MSC shuttle and the City Sightseeing shuttle had “last bus” that left from Little Mermaid statue to go back to the ship 30 minutes before you have to be back on the ship. What we didn’t know until we were in a rush to get back to the ship was that the hop-on/hop-off bus stopped for a dedicated 5-10 minutes at several stops. We would have missed the last City Sightseeing shuttle bus had we not gotten off at stop 4 (Gefion Fountain) and walked briskly to Little Mermaid (500 meters).

12 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an MSC Fantasia Cruise from $89

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.