Oosterdam Review

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jun 2023

First the good:

I am an avid cruiser, but I had never cruised Holland America before. I had some trepidation because I had heard that it skewed older. Not that I am a spring chicken, but I’m also not 70. At any rate, the cabins were of familiar size and the crew was excellent, although there was some inconsistencies in the bar, especially with the featured drinks, which you would think all bartenders would make the same, but did not. Our room stewards (shout out to Arman and Tina!!!!!!) were excellent, and took very good care of us. The cabin was always refreshed when we got back, ice was stocked and fresh linens were in the bathroom. I had heard that the Oosterdam was an older ship, but you didn’t see it or feel it. The ports were also excellent, however, this review is about the ship itself.

The negative: I read a lot of comments about the food on Holland America ships. I have to say, although the food was plentiful, it was not served all day, even in the buffet. And the buffet served the exact same food. Every. Single. Day. They did have theme days, however, that food was limited to a few tins related to the theme. The salad bar offered lots of options and dressings which was great. There were very limited entertainment options versus other cruise lines I’ve been on, and if, in fact, you are traveling with a younger crowd, there really isn’t much for them to do. The same string trio playing the same songs and the same pianos playing the same songs. The beverage package was adequate. However, get the elite package because the regular package only covers you up to $11 per drink, and if you want, say, a Cosmopolitan, you were charged extra. However, I will say I was only charged the difference between the $11 package allowance and the $12 cost of the Cosmopolitan, which was a nice surprise. Another peeve - the casino did not have an ATM, nor was there one anywhere else on the ship. In order to gamble, you had to wait the 30 minutes in the line at Guest Services to make a cash advance. Very frustrating, but did keep the gambling in check since it was such a tedious process.

Port Reviews

Korcula

Beautiful. Rented buggies although very up and down hills and brakes went out on my husband’s buggy which made for an eventful trip. But, beautiful and the last beach they too us too was gorgeous!

Kusadasi

Very hot day so less enjoyable than it could have been. Guide was excellent was born there. Although I’m not super religious, did travel to Ephesus to see the Virgin Mary’s last home - mostly as a tribute to my grandmother. Walked around Ancient Ephesus in the blistering sun, but marveled at the sites, especially the library.

Rhodes

Very commercial port. Walked around the tourist areas within the city walls in the am. Then took a cab to Elli Beach, rented a bed and enjoyed the ocean and bedside service. Took a swim - bring water shoes, the beach is small rocks, not sand and is hard on the feet! Jumped off the platform that was about 50 feet out. Very fun, very relaxing!

Santorini

What can I say! So beautiful, so picturesque, so much more than I expected! Another scorching day but somehow, not as affected. So far, 2nd best place I’ve ever been!

Split

Always looked nice in ads, but truly a beautiful city. The old town, within the walls, was a hub of activity and lovely to walk around. A nice breeze helped with the heat!

20 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Oosterdam Cruise from $569

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.