Norwegian Dawn Review

3,033 reviews

Great ports, but tired ship and lack of service!

Review for the Arctic Cruise on Norwegian Dawn
Valkyrie21
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jun 2023

We usually sail with HAL, but the interesting NCL itinerary prompted us to pick Norwegian for the first time. It is safe to say that we will hurry back to HAL. Unlike HAL, where we were always made to feel like honored guests (even in the cheapest inside cabin), you were treated like an anonymous number on the Norwegian Dawn. At times, the service was not only indifferent but downright rude. Upon embarkation in Copenhagen around 1130, we had to wait until after 3pm to finally get access our cabin, a very long wait!

As for the ship, which is rather old, the bizarre colors schemes have to be seen to be believed. We had a club suite with a bright turquoise door, stark blue tiles in the bathroom, nice, dark brown polished wooden furniture, light green bed skirt, and brown and pale green luggage protectors right out of the 70s. I cannot imagine who put these colors together in such an absurd way.

The worst experience was the food and the often very hurried service. The Bamboo was absolutely abysmal. For the first time in my life, I actually considered letting my plate go back. I had ordered vegetable fried rice, which was advertised as a medley of rice and lots of freshly cooked vegetables. What arrived was rice with about 12 peas and tiny carrot pieces. Someone had obviously opened a frozen meal and warmed it up in the microwave. Other family members ordered meat dishes that arrived without rice. We had to specially ask for rice in an Asian themed restaurant. Just like in the main restaurants, service was incredibly hurried. The food at the Irish pub was similarly disastrous. Bottom line: if you don't eat in one of the specialty restaurants, expect sub-standard food quality.

Gaudy and mismatched colors! Cabin has a bizarre and dated feel to it. However, beds were comfy, cabin clean, and shower pressure great.

6 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Dawn Cruise from $849

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.