Vision of the Seas Review

Alamana
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jun 2023

Baltimore to Bermuda and back on a 5 night cruise. It was my second cruise, and my husband's first. We won't be cruising again. It was not a good experience. I'll give you the good, the bad, and the ugly.

First the GOOD: The port at Baltimore is convenient and well run. Parking and embarkation were very easy. We did have The Key, so with priority boarding we didn't have a wait to get onboard. Our cabin was fine -- we were in 3004 and as it is almost at the end of the hall (forward) it was quieter than other cabins. Everyone says to avoid a cabin at the front, but it worked out well for us (we did feel the ship rocking a bit, but not much -- perhaps we lucked out and it was a relatively tranquil voyage). Our cabin was dated looking, but that is to be expected on Vision, and it was very comfortable. Instead of a window it had to portholes. Plenty of closet and drawer space. Dining in the specialty restaurants we tried -- Izumi and Chops -- was good. Everything we ordered at Chops was good except for the lobster bisque, which wasn't great. At Izumi the appetizers and desert were good, the sushi was excellent, and the teriyaki chicken and teriyaki beef were just okay (I actually couldn't taste any teriyaki on either -- it was like plain stir fried beef or chicken on rice). Service at both specialty restaurants was excellent. Spa treatments were good (but there were some problems with the spa, detailed below). The one show we attended was pretty good (although special seating promised with The Key seemed nonexistent). Our snorkle excursion, booked through RC, was great.

The BAD: We found the atmosphere on board overwhelming and unpleasant. The ship was very crowded. There are kids everywhere, running around and screaming. The pool deck is a madhouse. And the kids really are everywhere -- I was looking forward to relaxing in the adults only Solarium, but there were always parents in there with little kids. I was looking forward to a peaceful dinner at Chops, but there were loud kids in there as well. You really can't escape it. It was often hard to walk up and down the stairs (which you will want as waits for elevators can be long), because teenagers would sit on them for hours, hanging out, blocking the whole stairway. (This was all.the.time. Seems like a safety issue to me.) Forget about getting into the hot tubs, they are always full of kids (even in the Solarium they are full of teenagers). We avoided the pools completely (no loungers to be had anyway, what with everyone claiming them for hours by throwing stuff on them even though there are signs saying not to do that). No dress code is enforced in the MDR or specialty restaurants, so expect people in tank tops, swim suits with cover ups, flip flops, etc. Also, dress related, it seemed weird to me to see so many people walking around the ship in bathing suits with no cover ups or shoes. Lots of barefoot people walking around the ship. And men without shirts.

Cabin was nice and quiet and worked well for us. You could feel the rocking of the ship a bit, but it didn't bother us. If I were going to cruise on this ship again (which I would not), I would book this room again.

9 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Vision of the Seas Cruise from $389

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.