Carnival Freedom Review

10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jun 2023

My wife and I have been cruising for about 15-16yrs now and have taken at least 13-14 cruises. We’ve been mostly on the NCL, Royal and Disney lines with many amazing and fun memories. We booked this cruise in 2019 before the pandemic made a mess of everything. We were given a deadline to take the cruise in order to take advantage of the cabin credits and to avoid losing our paid fair. So we finally took it this past weekend. What a disappointment!?!? The food was quite bad…one day the pizza was good and the next day soggy tasteless. On the 2nd day (at about 6:30pm) we decided to eat at the buffet rather than the restaurant only to find that most of the buffet was closed…Guy’s burger place was closed and what was open was terrible. Sandwich meats, dry bread and some other mystery foods that looked scary. The items on the restaurant menu were not even close to what we expected. The brisket came in a sauce and loaded in fat. The cheese for omelets were so “imitation” that it wouldn’t melt…it stayed hard and chewy on the food. The veggies looked old and wilted. The food came out fast, which was great, but obviously had been sitting around forever because it was lukewarm (at best) when we got it.

We saw 3 badly shattered window panes around the ship…one was being help up with duct tape. Most of the crew was nice..but definitely ran into a few that didn’t want to be there and showed it with attitude. Some of the bartenders clearly had no interest in making drinks. I’d find a bar with as few people as possible, which may have been the wrong strategy because it seemed like they would see me and continued to focus more on putting things away than taking my order.

They now have a promotion for free drinks once you earn enough points at the casino. Once I earned my points I ordered a drink with a cocktail waiter…about 5 mins later he came back to tell me I was ineligible for the free drinks (he said the system hadn’t updated) so i waited about an hour and tried again with no luck. I came back later at night and still no luck…I found a manager who told me I was eligible but the cocktail waiter didn’t understand how to run the card…REALLY!!!!!??? How do work in the casino and NOT know how to honor your promotion!? I paid for drinks that should have been free. I completely understand that Carnival is NOT a luxury line and that you get what you pay for…I certainly still didn’t get what we paid for. This was my first and LAST cruise with Carnival.

No issues with the cabin.

1 Helpful Vote
previous reviewnext review

Find a Carnival Freedom Cruise from $239

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.