Viking Kvasir Review

6-10 Cruises • Age 50s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: May 2023

Ugh. My mom and I have traveled on Viking several times before COVID, and things have definitely changed. While I realize that the cruise industry was hard hit during the pandemic. things have definitely changed on Viking for the worse. First, there is far less attention to detail - the minimal staff seemed stressed and, at times frustrated that we were there. When we checked in our room smelled of sewage (NB, it was one of the "cheap seats," so we ended up paying $1100 extra for an upgrade so as not to spend ten days sniffing the scent of waste). Second, my 86 yo mother and I both contracted COVID while sailing, and when we called the ship's manager, we were told that "we could do whatever we wanted," including dining with other passengers and going on excursions (many of which involve bus transport). We were also told "it's like having a cold now." While I can see how this would be true, Viking's population tends towards an elderly demographic, and we felt it would be unethical to just go and commingle with our fellow guests with full-blown COVID. We were also told "probably most of the ship has it by now." Wish I'd known this before booking.

The other major issue I have is that we were pressured into purchasing Viking's (expensive) travel insurance. Well, when we tried to get information about how to process a claim, we were told that Viking has "nothing to do" with the company that issues the insurance, and that what we'd been told by the Viking representative we called "was wrong." At the time, I was trying to figure out whether my 86 yo mother would be well enough for the flight home, and if she wasn't, whether we could be reimbursed for our expenses. It soon became clear that the insurance and Viking have basically little to no knowledge of one another, and the expensive insurance we purchased was, in this case, worthless. We won't be traveling on Viking again. Buyer beware: if you are on a riverboat, you will likely get COVID, because apparently passengers can circulate freely about the (small) boat with it and there is no vaccine requirement any longer. But they won't tell you that beforehand. They also won't tell you that their insurance is a scam. Just avoid - there are a lot of other river cruises that you could do for less $ and better customer service.

Response from VikingS, Community Team

We appreciate you taking the time to detail your recent voyage, arodgers, as such feedback allows us to better understand how to deliver the five-star experience for which we strive. Your...

Once we upgraded, the balcony cabin was nice, if small.

2 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Viking Kvasir Cruise from $2,999

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.