Marina Review

10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: May 2023
Cabin: Penthouse Suite

This was my 4th time cruising with Oceania, the 3rd one on Marina. It's a shame this cruise line deteriorated so far, it used to be my favorite. No complaints about the ship itself, it is beautiful, comfortable and not too large. However, since the last time I have been on it (2019, just before the pandemic hit) it went downhill all the way. The food is not the same, for example, the Polo Steakhouse used to give a delightful dining experience, on this cruise the food there was miserable, most of the people we spoke to during the cruise were complaining about it. The food quality in all the restaurant is not at par with past cruises on the same ship. Some of the staff was outright rude and unhelpful. After the second excursion was cancelled by Oceania in the first 3 days we were on board, I complained to the staff member at the Destination Desk and asked him to find us a alternate excursion so we won’t be stuck on board for another day and was told in return that he does not take orders from me and I should not tell him what to do. ?!?! The ship changed and cancelled excursions so fast my head was spinning. No organization whatsoever. Evidently in an effort to save money, the ship docked in Commercial Ports instead of in Cruise Terminals (except Embarkation and Disembarkation). In some of the ports passengers disembarked hoping to find something interesting to see just to realize they were in the middle of nowhere and they came back on board. Some shuttles were provided but they were going to the nearest village or town, not to the destination on the program. In Bordeaux we docked 3 hours away from the city, we had to hire a private car and driver to tour Bordeaux and the wine country since all the excursions were booked, and we found out how lucky we were only in the evening because the bus hired for this excursion by Oceania to the same area got lost on the way, the driver and guide were clueless where they were and passengers were stuck for 4 hours on the bus without even a bathroom break. Can you imagine how surprised we were when we got to the center of Bordeaux and there was a Regent ship of roughly the same size, docked on the river, right by the central square of Bordeaux. We wasted 6 hours in a car instead. Our stop at Saint Malo was cancelled according to the Captain because of rough seas that made it impossible to use tenders to take passengers to shore. This stop was supposed to be one of the attractions of the cruise. We sat for 3 hours each way from Le Havre to Paris to spend 3 hours there and get back on the bus for 3 more hours drive back to the ship. What really got me upset though, was the fact that upon our return I found 5 Oceania brochures in our mailbox, all received while we were on the ship. This is what Oceania spends their money on instead of giving their passengers a pleasurable experience on their ships. Needless to say this is our last cruise on Oceania.

Penthouse Suite

34 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Marina Cruise from $2,089

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.