Scenic Jasper Review

6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Apr 2023

We sailed from Budapest to Amsterdam on Scenic Jasper departing April 24, 2023. We were very excited about our first river cruise. It was a lovely experience. However, we didn't feel Scenic lived up to all of the hype it gets as a 5-Star cruise line. I'm not sure what kind of high tech gadgets they're talking about having. They didn't even have USB outlets in the cabins. The app we used on our phone for excursions didn't even work on the boat during sailing time because the WiFi was so poor. The suite was just fine. Nothing special. The counter space was almost non-existent. The bathroom was large enough, but the fixtures were not as nice as you'd expect and definitely not 5-star. We signed up for the cruise in late January and there were only a few cabins left. I would have preferred a nicer suite. I took the nicest I could get...a balcony. I'm not sure if a deluxe balcony would have been any nicer. I would hope the royal suites would be nicer. At least have something nicer than plastic lawn furniture on the balcony. A recommendation about getting a balcony...definitely get one if you have the budget. It gives you an extra 2-3 feet of space along the entire length of the room. It's indoor space unless you put the upper window panel down. It is also lovely to sit with a glass of wine or cocktail and have some privacy watching the beautiful scenery go by. The ship is small, as all river ships are. It's something to be prepared for if going on a river cruise, in general. People are packed in quite tightly in the dining room and lounge during peak times. The food was fine. Although there were a few new options every night, it felt as though it was repetitive and we got a little tired of it. It looked better than it tasted. The desserts definitely looked better than they tasted. Very few chocolate options. The breakfast buffet had a huge selection of items to appeal to people from different countries and it was plentiful. Again, it was repetitive. I mostly ordered something from the menu, which was a nice option. Our cruise was 15 days. We were invited to two special dinners, one in the Portobello Lounge and one at the large table at the end of the main dining room. Both of those meals were excellent and were at a higher standard than the other 13 nights. Not sure why that standard wouldn't be what they strive for every night. Scenic is all inclusive, which means free-flowing alcohol. We're not huge drinkers, so that wasn't important to us. If it is to you, it's a great part of the Scenic experience. The staff on the Jasper were excellent. They want to help and please you in any way they can. They were all friendly and would go out of their way for you. Couldn't ask for better. Every suite comes with a butler. We only used ours for minor needs once or twice. The excursions were well done. The tour guides were pleasant and knowledgeable. The buses were very comfortable. There isn't a lot of activity excursions. They had one planned hike, which we did. They had one unplanned hike, which we did. My husband did a couple of e-bike excursions. He said they were very sedate. Some of the e-bike motors weren't working. You can't always get on every excursion you want. That was a disappointment for us, but we went with the flow and still had fun doing whatever we did. We enjoyed the smaller towns where we could get off and walk around or hike more than the bigger cities. But that's not relevant to a review of Scenic. All in all, we had a great time, but Scenic just didn't live up to our expectations. Its price point is at the higher end of river cruises. I think we would have had a great time on a nicer ship on a different line. I would have paid more for nicer. It was the places we went and the things we did that made it great. Some of that was also the pre and post cruise days I planned myself in Prague, Budapest and Amsterdam. So, would we choose Scenic again? No.

I don't feel it lives up to being a 5-Star ship. I would have preferred a nicer suite. We signed up in late January for a late April cruise. I took the nicest I could get...a balcony. I'm not sure if a deluxe balcony would have been any nicer. I would hope the royal suites would be nicer. The bathroom was fine. The shower was bigger than I was expecting. The fixtures were nothing special. At least have something nicer than plastic lawn furniture on the balcony. A recommendation about getting a balcony...definitely get one. It gives you an extra 2-3 feet of space along the entire length of the room. It's indoor space unless you put the upper window panel down. It is also lovely to sit with a glass of wine or cocktail and have some privacy watching the beautiful scenery go by. The ship is small, as all river ships are. It's something to be prepared for if going on a river cruise, in general. It's nice to have a place to go to get away from the crowds.

11 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Scenic Jasper Cruise from $4,657

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.