• Newsletter

10+ Cruises • Age 110s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Apr 2023
Cabin: Penthouse Suite

We'd booked this well in advance after we had such a great experience on SS in June, 2022 in the Baltic - so, the anticipation was a long time in building. We're glad to say that it met or exceeded our expectations. The Navigator IS an older ship, which you may not notice most of the time; but when you're in the lower decks, including the Compass Rose dining room, the shakes and rattles are very real. But it was steady as she goes even when we had slightly higher waves, not to mention we're on Deck 11 anyway. We found the number of 120 V plugs inadequate, and my wife was not happy with the hair dryer, to the point where she's bringing her own for the next cruise (which is on Atlas Ocean Voyages anyway and not RSSC). We are also slightly peeved that the provision of certain liquors was inadequate; these are items that are on the drink menu, but not available (Fernet, Armagnac...)

Wanting to make this review comprehensive, but not so long that everyone would just swipe, I'll touch on some aspects we're asked to rate individually ("Cabin" has its own commentaries below), and a couple that we're not.

DINING In a word, "stupendous"! We ate mainly in Compass Rose, and after a great first experience, (tried to) ask for Ray & Gerlin every evening. The Versace service plates set the tone (although I wish they wouldn't take them away before the first course is even served - why? We asked the wait staff to leave them on the table till the main course, and they, of course, obliged. People who complain about the lack of "variety" really need a sanity check. The menu offers a nightly, any evening your want it, part, which includes lobsters and scallops, not to mention steaks etc. 95% of the food, from app to main course were impressive in both taste as well as presentation (IG-worthy!) - I swear I have FEWER friends after this cruise due to the envy-inducing pix we posted. That fantastic crab-avocado app, I told my wife, is the perfect appetizer, and I'd order it every night if not for the 'monotony' of deliciousness. The only real, consistent, fails, are risottos (mainly at Sette Mari) and souffles, which, if you ask me, they have no business even attempting to make on a cruise ship. And we did have a disappointing osso bucco at Sette Mari, where it didn't TASTE LIKE - but WAS - pre-cooked and reheated. How do we know? Cuz they didn't even reheat it properly - the meat near the bone was not even warm! That whole evening at the Sette Mari was a bit of a disaster, as they were short-staffed, and we heard people complaining about cold LASAGNE! Our first evening at Prime 7 was equally disappointing. The service and ambience is arguably half a notch up, but hey, if my lamb chops were so unremarkably flavorless that I didn't finish them, let alone ask for seconds, there's room for improvement. They bring petit fours after every dinner, which often is enough dessert for me anyway. Instead, I focus on the magnificent cheeses they offered. I'll forever be grateful for being introduced to Reblochon. Now a quick word on the wine: generally not as impressive as SS, but if you educate yourself on what they DO have available (often on display, or just ask), you won't be too let down. SS was just more apt to have an old world bottle or two that'll blow you away for an "included" wine.

Penthouse Suite

Being on the top deck can have its pros and cons, the latter being mainly if you have any type of rough seas - we didn't. Now know that the Penthouse suites on the Navigator are no bigger than all the other veranda and concierge suites. The differences are mainly in the butler provision (which we seldom used, and my wife was very upset that he entered our cabin barely knocking/ringing the bell), the Guerlain toiletries for ladies; for men, it's still L'Occitane, and, I think, not upgraded, but I can't be sure if there are two different 'lines' of L'Occitane on Regent, since this is my first cruise with RSSC (ours in the PH was the Jasmin & Bergamote line: I'm perfectly happy with it, preferring it over the Guerlain, in fact). The other PH difference is: they ask you ahead of time what booze you want provisioned in your suite. This turns out to be a nice boon. I asked for a Remy Martin and Fernet Branca. They weren't there when we first got into the cabin, but upon inquiring, the Butler duly brought them. These are the 1L variety. Of course, we didn't finish, which made for a nice take-home memento. Good thing I did too, since (and I have a bit of a peeve on this), even though Fernet was "advertised" even on all the drink menus, they didn't have many. Had I not that bottle, no Fernet for 14 days! The other perk (think concierge cabins have this too) was the Illy expresso machine, which I used all of 3 times over the 15 days. The butler brings you "whatever" you want, including canapes every afternoon if you wish (as if anyone is ever "hungry" on a cruise ship of ANY kind). Again, we had very limited use of this benefit. Shoes were shone as asked, but no bonus shoe tree when it was returned (SS provided this). Maids work as a team: ours, Brigitte and Danica, were too marvelous for words.

6 Helpful Votes