Nieuw Statendam Review

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Apr 2023
Cabin: Verandah Stateroom

We have near 30 cruises so far, split almost evenly across the 5 major cruise lines. Our best tops are HAL and Celebrity. This is our first cruise on the NS and our 4th cruise on HAL. We loved the sisterships Rotterdam and Koningsdam for the food, the music and the beauty of the ship. This T/A cruise on the Nieuw Statendam is no exception, though I have to admit, the Rotterdam has a little edge on the main dinning room. On the NS mdr the food was very very good, the many beef filet we got there were cooked just the way I love it, RARE,,, Once I had the NYstrip and not so good. You could get lobster but for extra fee, 15$ for 2x5onces lobster tails, or 20$ for a big 12 onces tail, no free lobster anymore,, lately I found them only on the Odyssey of the sea. I love the asian sizzling at the lido buffet for lunch time, much better than the one on my last cruise on the NCL JOY. Though they do not have a good Indian food section like I love on Celebrity. Like the Rotterdam and Koningsdam they have among the best burger and fries on the sea at the Dive-In and among the best pizza at the New York Pizza & Deli, as for the Dive-In, all food is cooked on demand and on special request, miam miam. We went twice at the Tamarin speciality restaurant and one time at the Shusi place,,, SO GOOD.

The shows at the main theater were good to so-so, but it is not the reason we keep going with HAL, we love the music hall, BB King, Rolling Stone and Billboard, we spent many hours there dancing and listening the music.

During the crossing we had 3 rainy days in a row, what a blessing to have a convertible roof over the main pool deck which can be modulated upon the weather. The pool deckchairs are much more confortable than any other boat and the general decor of the pool deck is simply very bieutiful. I love the smoking area for my 6 oclock wiskey and cigar.

Verandah Stateroom

13 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Nieuw Statendam Cruise from $544

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.