Holland America Rotterdam Review

Dancer-Too
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Nov 2022

I wrote a longer letter than this over 3 months ago to the President and CEO of Carnival, explaining my personal experiences, both good and bad, on Holland America’s (HAL) Rotterdam’s ten-day cruise, departing Port Everglades in November 2022. I was hoping my observations, and what happened to me, could help her and and her management team who oversee HAL, to make improvements and appropriate changes on the Rotterdam.

I would first like to emphasize from my personal perspective, the one real positive about this ship is its crew, officers, servers, and the contract employees in the shops and Spa, who were all beyond unbelievable in their kindness, professionalism, and the way they conducted themselves, no matter what was requested, or what they were doing or asked during my every encounter. For the long hours they work, they were quick with a smile and always went above and beyond during my interactions, and those I observed, with other guests. I would also like to specifically compliment my two room stewards.

After I boarded the ship, I was told the best place to have lunch was the main dining room. I sat down ordered a salad, chicken tacos, and a Campari spritzer. In my opinion, the service was certainly lacking, and the three hard-shell tacos had so little chicken in each taco that I could barely see the meat, and the spritzer was not prepared properly. I never ate another meal in the Main Dining room for the rest of the cruise.

Speaking of loud noises, from my experience the noises from the slamming entry doors, and even the bed-shaking noises from the verandah doors slamming was a regular occurrence. In my opinion, the noise is really startling and very loud. Of the two, the worst is the verandah doors that open and swing outward onto the seating area, so when the ship is moving, the pressure variation between the stateroom and the outside is extreme, plus the wind from the moving ship, forces the balcony door to slam with such a force and intensity, that it literally shook my bed every evening when my neighbors went out onto their verandah. The ship sails every evening, so you can expect any neighbors who go out on their verandah’s to have their doors slam closed. Also, the entry doors do not have a pump-type device on the back of the door to control the closing of the entry door, which therefore caused the neighbor’s doors to slam every-time they leave or enter their stateroom.

7 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Holland America Rotterdam Cruise from $539

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.