Roald Amundsen Review

Cannot recommend this trip or ship highly enough.

Review for Antarctica Cruise on Roald Amundsen
alexhaddow
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Mar 2023

This was a trip to celebrate my wife's retirement. We had seen the "Mighty Cruise Ships" documentary on the Roald Amundsen and booked within days of watching. We were sailing to Antarctica and returning via the Falkland Islands. When we were due to pay the balance of the holiday, I read a lot of negative reviews of this trip and contacted my travel agent (Trailfinders) to see what feedback they had had. They reassured me and we went ahead - thank goodness!

For Antarctic trips, the Roald Amundsen has a max capacity of 500. On our voyage, there was 320 passengers. On the journeys out and back over Drake's Passage, we experienced "moderate" conditions - 6m waves. The ship dealt with this easily. (Always go for a midships berth on a low deck to minimise the risk of seasickness). My wife did experience seasickness on the first day as medication bought at home had no effect. We bought alternative tablets from the ship's doctor and she was fine from day 2 onward.

Waking up for the first morning in Antarctica is an experience that neither of us could have imagined properly. It is just a stunning place. The crew were fantastic. Not one of them was less than incredibly helpful and cheery. I really did believe them when I asked on a few occasions and they replied that they really enjoyed their jobs. Hurtigruten should be proud of how the captain runs the ship. The impression that I got was that he was effectively running a small business and his ethos was clearly seen in all the crew. We had a passenger who was in a wheelchair and the expedition team dealt with her really well. There was no mollycoddling of any passenger. Everyone was helped to do as much as they could - and then some. Some companies have an approach that they claim publicly that they are "the best" e.g. British Airways - "The worlds favorite airline" (I think not). Other companies like our experience with Hurtigruten just get on with the job and let you come to that conclusion yourself after they have proven their case. That is all down to the superb staff on the ship.

26 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Roald Amundsen Cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.