3. Rotterdam
Rooms: Booked two suites with partial ocean views and got a room that looked into staff staircase. Had to request clean towels for bathroom, never recieved ice or other room service from our steward. The room safe was broken, the nightstands locked with no key; therefore useless for storing items. I went to the office right away to avoid being charged for lost key and also I need the drawer space. Holland office staff never opened the nightstands, never fixed the safe, so both were useless the entire cruise. My son had a headache so I went to the office for asprin, gave it to my son and then noticed it was expired. I went back to the office and told them they were handing out expired asprin. Two days later I went back to see if they had changed the asprin (just for my knowledge) and they had not. The last day of the cruise they were still giving expired medications. Food: Service was very very slow, even in formal dining. The food was average at best, I certainly would not consider it a 5 star, maybe a 3 and only due to deserts. Amenities: There is one swimming pool that is open from 10AM - 7PM and full of kids. There is no second pool or adult swim times. Three hot tubs, one of which was broken the entire cruise. Several public restrooms, three were broken the entire cruise. The fitness center had the same hours and the spa was a joke. There is no jogging track and only walking on deck (when the deck is open because they closed it for cleaning while we cruised instead of while we were in ports of call). Tours BEWARE: Tours were good but I would advise booking online to save yourself lots of money. We did Zipline in Ketchikan and Holland charged $189 per person (we had 6 in our party). Tickets were available online before the cruise through Canopy Zipline for $99 per person, a savings of $600.00. Holland would not compromise on the charged prices. CHILDREN: This cruise is not teen friendly. I had a 13 and 17 year old with me and they had nothing to do. The HAL club is a joke, the dance clud only 2 nights, the rest of the time the kids could play WII with rated E or T games; something they could do at home for free. If you want to drink, gamble, and sing at the piano bar this cruiseline may be for you. There was very little else to do aboard ship. I enjoyed the ports, the cruise type of travel but the only way I would board Holland again is if it is free.

Find another cruise line

Rotterdam Cruise Review by kabjk

• Sail Date: July 2010
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)
kabjk’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Ages 13 to 15
Ages 16+
Get Holland America Rotterdam price drops

Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)
Cabin HH 3424
3420 HH, was nice but lots of broken furniture, missing keys, door levers not locking and it was not a partial ocean view. If you wanted to see the ocean from the window you needed to lean over the nightstand close to the wall.

3424 HH, again nice, everything worked but the steward. However, this was not partial oceanview as it looked into the staffs staircase. It does list these cabins as partail ocean view.

Also, both cabins were at the far back of the ship and I requested the middle as my daughter gets motion sickness.
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Juneau
    Juneau was nice but full of tourist traps. If you do not plan to take a tour there, get a rental car and visit another part of the island. Views are great, people friendly, food above average. Remember, this is rain forest area so chances are you will not see the sunshine. All and all, Juneau was a lovely city and I would visit it again with more time to spend in port.
    View All 1,488 Juneau Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Juneau Cruise Port Review
  • Ketchikan
    Another beautiful port. This area had the Alaska views, friendly people, and great food. Most of our time was spent on the zipline in the rain forest which was great fun but what we saw of the port was great. Maybe second choice to Sitka for a place to retire. I would highly recommend the Alaska cruise to anyone, just pick a different cruiseline.
    View All 1,727 Ketchikan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ketchikan Cruise Port Review
  • Sitka
    Let me just say, WOW! I have found my island retreat. Again, another rain forest so expect fog and rain/drizzle but when the sky clears, the views are breath-taking! Sitka was clean, extremely friendly people, prices more than fair, not lots to do but I was there to see the scenery and wildlife which I did. I may have to buy an island and retire to Sitka!!
    View All 324 Sitka Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Sitka Cruise Port Review
  • Victoria
    I am a country person so I was unprepared for the city of Victoria. I thought this was going to be a small city but was greated by a large metropolitian area. Beggers, panhandlers, conartists abound. Taxi's turn off their meters and charge prices under the table, BEWARE of the taxi's at the dock, the charged me double the price than the taxi's in town.
    Shopping was good. Tours were okay but I do not care to repeat the experience.
    View All 1,265 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews