3. Carnival Conquest
We just got back from a seven day Western Caribbean cruise on Carnival Conquest and we had a blast. My wife and I have cruised three times before, but this was the first cruise for our kids (8 year old daughter and 6 year old son). This was our first cruise on Carnival and honestly we were a little concerned it was going to be a little low brow, but we absolutely loved it! The ship was fantastic--by far our favorite ship. It was a lot of fun. The staff, for the most part, were great. Chris, the cruise director, was hilarious. The kids club was fantastic! The kids absolutely loved it. We were afraid they wouldn't want to go but they had a great time playing with the other kids and the Camp Carnival staff was very well organized and made sure the kids were always entertained and had lots of things to do.

We had adjoining ocean view rooms on deck one (1356 & 1358). That was great because the kids had their room and we had ours. It also gave us a lot of extra room for storage. It felt like we had a two bedroom suite. We had never been on the first deck and we weren't sure what to expect, but the we really liked being close to the water. The rooms were very quiet. We never heard any noise outside or coming from other floors. Being in the middle of the ship was nice too because there wasn't much movement.

Embarkation was pretty smooth. It actually went a little faster than we expected. It probably took about two hours from the time we parked until we were on the ship.

Day one was at sea. We had a fun time playing in the pools and the water slide. It was a lot of fun. On the first day we went to breakfast in one of the seated dining rooms thinking it would be less crowded and a better option than the breakfast buffet. It took forever though. We waited at our table for almost 45 minutes before our food came and when it did, it wasn't good at all. The other days we went to the buffet for breakfast and it was much better. There are plenty of choices and the staff at the buffet we found to be much friendlier and more helpful than the main dining room staff. A few times there were lines, but you never had to wait more than five minutes or so.

We were in the Monet dining room for dinner. We loved everything about the cruise but the one area where I would give them lower marks is in the main dining rooms. We only went to breakfast there once and didn't have a great experience. Our servers at dinner were nice enough, but we've had much friendlier servers on other cruises. Not rude or anything, but they didn't really seem to go out of there way. I'm sure others had great experiences with their servers, but ours were just okay. No problem though--we're on vacation. The food was pretty good. It seemed to get better as the week went on. We went to the steakhouse one night and loved it. It was excellent. I'd highly recommend it. It's well worth the $30 pp fee.

Day two was another sea day and pretty much like the first--lots of fun.

We didn't book any excursions through Carnival. I did a fair amount of research online before had and made arrangements at each port separately. I was a little nervous about not booking through the cruise line, but they all turned out great and I'll definitely be booking that way again for future cruises. Below is a summary of what we did in port:

All in all we loved the cruise. We had a great time. I would definitely cruise again with Carnival. Aside from the dining room staff not being overly bubbly, everything else was fantastic! We can't wait to go again!

Great family vacation

Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by d91804

Day two was another sea day and pretty much like the first--lots of fun.

d91804’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 7 to 9

Ocean View
Cabin 6B 1356
Great location. Close to the elevators. Very quiet.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Cozumel
    Cozumel - For our last port we wanted something a little more mellow where we could just relax a bit. We booked at day at Nachi Cocom. It's a private beach that limits it's guests to 100 per day. The day we were there there was probably 60 or so people. Not crowded at all. They had a nice sandy beach, a pool, bar and restaurant. It was all inclusive as well. We booked it through cozumelcruiseexcursions.com. It was $49 for the adults and $12 for the kids. It included all you could drink and an amazing lunch--tons of food. Really good, authentic Mexican food. Most of the staff spoke English and they were all very friendly and accommodating. The kids had lots of fun playing in the ocean and looking for shells. We probably found about 15 conch shells. Admittedly they weren't in perfect condition, but the kids thought it was great finding big shells like that. My wife and I both agreed this was our favorite stop of the three. It was about a 10 minute cab ride ($15 each way). I would definitely recommend this place as well. Nice and relaxing. Didn't feel too touristy. We felt like we had out own private beach and staff. It was great.

View All 5,720 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Grand Cayman
    Grand Cayman - We booked a snorkel/sting ray city tour through Captain Marvin's. They've been on the island forever doing this type of thing. They were well recommended so we felt very comfortable booking this online. We paid $40 for the adults and $27.50 for the kids for a half day excursion--three hours, two snorkeling stops and a visit to the sting ray sand bar. Their office is about a block from the cruise terminal. We walked over, paid, and got on a mini bus for the 10 minute ride to their boats. The driver was very friendly, the van was air conditioned and it was super easy. We went to sting ray city first--that was amazing. Definitely something you have to do in Grand Cayman. The guys on the boat were very friendly and made sure everyone had a good time and (if they wanted to) hold a stingray and kiss one for seven years good luck. After that we went to two snorkeling spots and then back to the dock and drive back to town. I would definitely recommend Captain Marvin's -- super easy, very friendly, and we felt well taken care of the whole time.

View All 2,848 Grand Cayman Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Grand Cayman Cruise Port Review
  • Montego Bay
    Jamaica - We went to Sunset Beach Resort. It was about five minutes from the cruise terminal ($10 cab each way). It's an all inclusive resort and water park. It was $180 for two adults and two kids. The kids had a blast. They had a couple of really fun water slides, big pool, lazy river and a pirate ship. It wasn't very crowed at all and the staff there was all very friendly. Lunch was included as well as all you could drink. The lunch was buffet style and had lots of options. We thought it was really good. The resort was on a beach so we spent some time in the ocean as well. Their beach wasn't the best, but it was fun for the kids. We really went there for the water slides and we weren't disappointed. It's not someplace I'd stay for a week, but for a fun afternoon it can't be beat. I'd definitely recommend it.

View All 442 Montego Bay Cruise Port Reviews