Iona Review

db51
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Feb 2023

I was worried going on this cruise because of the bad reviews. My advice after cruising on her - ignore them. The ship is beautifully designed - very light everywhere. I was super organised before I left - booking what I could on the ‘app’ and made sure that the very first thing I did when I got on was to book everything else. MDR bookings for the whole cruise could be made by asking the restaurant staff. Once that was all in place the cruise was fine. We rarely queued - once for 15 minutes for the Limelight club but that was it. Waiters always seemed to around when we wanted one and we did not have to wait long for drinks. Shore excursions were well organised and good, the theatre was a bit loud but had interesting shows, there was a good variety of food; in the evening we did mdr 4 times, olive grove 3 times ,Sindhu twice, epicurean once and beach house once, limelight twice and chefs table once. My advice; book chefs table in preference to mdr on formal nights since the menu is better, ask for extra vegetables in mdr to make meals good, ask for starter salads as sides in olive grove to make their meals better. Overall thoroughly enjoyed all the food. At lunchtime we either went to the horizon buffet or the quays depending what was available in the buffet, always had a good meal. Entertainment - go to all the aerial shows in the sky dome but don’t bother with the singers because the acoustics are terrible. To get a good seat turn up at least 30 minutes before or else go to the 10.30 show. Don’t sit right at the front in the theatre since it is loud. The section where it starts rising is best for sound and you can see well. Book the 710 club as soon as you get on- it is quite quirky but very relaxing. Avoid reception on the first couple of days. The gym is nearly empty most of the time and the table tennis tables are perfectly situated in an alcove and you can use them in most weather. If you turn up in the evening you don’t even have to book. The hot tubs, even when the ship is full, are fairly empty and there is plenty of seating everywhere. The captain sounds a bit odd at first but is very clear and quite funny in his 6 o’clock briefings. Overall we loved the ship and will very definitely be back - if you factor in that the ship is big and you need to do a bit of organising your time at the start, you can then relax and enjoy the amazing experience.

Fantastic loved the space, the butler etc- very comfortable bed. Had free room service but amazingly didn’t use it .

Port Reviews

Fuerteventura

Did transfer to corelejo - loved the kontiki bar on the beach

16 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Iona Cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.