Norwegian Joy Review

While on board it was a good experience. Getting on and off the ship wasn't.

Review for the Panama Canal & Central America Cruise on Norwegian Joy
jean95404
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2022

The cruise was lovely. Some hiccups as with all cruises but you learn to get through it and move along. I was traveling with a couple that my husband and I have traveled with before and shared the interior family suite with the virtual window - deck 11.

Favorite location on the ship – The Observation Lounge! It was like being in a penthouse in the sky. Forward on the ship, there are windows for dozens of lounging areas along starboard and port sides filling the space with airy lightness. Forward center is the area where cream-colored leather chaise lounges are placed looking over the bow of the ship. The highly prized area going through the locks.

Crew – fantastic. Friendly, informative, and engaging. I was surprised at how frequently I was greeted by “Good morning Mrs. Jean” or even by “Jean”. At first, I thought “are they remembering me because of something I did wrong?” But apparently it was just because I asked them questions about their countries, whether they going to be getting a leave soon, what was their favorite port so far… I think they get tired of being treated as though they were invisible. Food – everywhere we ate had good food selections. We ate at the Manhattan Room only once. All of the “included in fare” dining rooms served the same exact menu, so it came down to, for us, choosing smaller dining rooms than the huge Manhattan Room. Specialty Restaurants – Cagney’s, I would pass on if I took the cruise again. Truffle mashed potatoes were heavily doused in truffle oil rather than shaved truffles, the fillet mignon was tough (?) and the mushrooms were overcooked. Q- the BBQ place was underwhelming. Adequate amount of meat, but the side dishes were served in miniscule metal bowls that held about two forkfuls of each: coleslaw, potato salad, and beans. My dining companions enjoyed their choices and said the chicken was some of the best they had ever eaten. Tappanyaki was the BEST!!! Everyone at our cooktop raved about their food. I had the best filet mignon I have EVER had anywhere. (Cagney’s, take note) The Garden Café Buffet – amazing selection of food and each day had a theme. The first night onboard we ate there. The prime rib was done to perfection and the veggie sides were plentiful to choose from. I stay away from buffet desserts because I’ve always found them to be too sweet and cloying. Breakfasts and lunches provided a good choice of healthy, mid-healthy, and heart attack in the making. Choose your poison. The Room – Inside Family Suite – The Positives – very spacious and well laid out. The Panorama wall certainly did away with any lingering concerns about claustrophobia. My bedroom was larger than I had anticipated. I actually like my room better than the room my friends had. I will post photos for your reference. Almost instant hot water from the taps, the provided amenities were L’Occitane soaps, lotions, body gels, shampoo and conditioner. The fragrance was nice, fresh, and “green” smelling. The linens and towels were a hit-and-miss. The towels were oversized and thick. The sheets, at least on my bed were ok, but the top sheet barely covered the mattress top. The comforter was lumpy. My friend's room had a fluffy duvet-covered comforter and upgraded linens and pillows. I think that was to be expected with it being the primary bedroom, and I certainly didn’t lose any sleep over it. The not-so-positive – it is NOT a quiet cabin. Being an inside cabin placed between two corridors it had to be the noisiest ship's cabin I’ve ever been in. At the head of my bed the wall adjoined a passenger hallway. People coming at all hours and doors slamming and stewards' trolleys bumping into the walls created a lot of noise. Behind the bathroom walls was the inside passenger corridor were the same kinds of noises. Many times I thought someone had come into our room because I could hear talking. Oh, and not to forget are those blankety blank Nespresso coffee units. We could hear people in nearby rooms making their morning, afternoon or evening espresso quite clearly. The room steward, Adrian, was fantastic in every way. Friendly, considerate and helpful.

5 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Joy Cruise from $228

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.