• Newsletter
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Viking Kara Review

Editor Rating

My overall Viking experience was good.

Review for Viking Kara to Europe River
6820491
First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Nov 2022
Cabin: Deluxe Stateroom

The service was great from dining to housecleaning to ship activities. Most of all, people bending over backward to be helpful. Only a few issues of concern that could be improved on: 1) the lady at the front desk was not as friendly or helpful as she could have been, but all the other staff were superb, 2) some of your off ship excursions were excellent but some were not. For example, the guide to the Black Forest was one of the best guides I've ever had. I loved her talk on the bus ride to the the Black Forest. She explained in depth the history, geography, and culture of the region, going into detail, especially about the local farming practices from times past. On the other hand, the guide in Cologne was probably one of the worst guides I have ever experienced. Granted the tour was in the middle of a fall festival in which the area was crowded with people dressed in costumes, partying, etc. and the Cologne cathedral was closed to tourists. All she did though was walk us around the Cathedral and didn't seem to know the history of the festival or the church. The tour was a very disappointing experience, as entering the Cathedral was one of the main draws of the trip. Perhaps not possible, but Viking could have checked ahead to let passengers know or pulled strings to get us inside the church for a private showing or provided more/other options for sightseeing or recompensing the passengers some other way. Just a suggestion. 3) after several days on board, I became sick with an upper respiratory infection on the cruise followed by my husband. I asked for a Covid test, which turned out to be negative. I wish the ship had offered another test a few days later because it can take days for Covid to register on a test. At the time, I did not know that. We may have put other passengers at risk. Also, we could have been told that medical help was available on the ship or at port. As it turned out, I tested positive for Covid when I returned home and was sick for over a month. Please notify previous passengers ahead of time about trip discounts, even by snail mail. We would have taken another least expensive trip, but all the spaces were taken by the time I learned of the discounts. We loved the 24 hour snack bar and the hot chocolate/toddies provided during the top deck during the Rhine River Castle viewing and the library. Might include more merchandise. Not for us but perhaps for others. And, the captain of the ship spoke with me and allowed me to take his picture. I would love to send you some pictures but I can't from email. Sorry. P.S. I would like to rate each guide and provide feedback about ports of call.

Deluxe Stateroom

We were on the bottom floor of the ship but expected our room to be smaller, which would partly explain the lower cost of the trip. For its size, the cabin was lovely. Enjoyed the water brought to our room every day. The wonderful toiletries. The great towels and bed lines. The cleanliness. Our bed made each day when we were out. The special attention to detail the house cleaning staff gave us each day. When I was sick, house cleaning give us more attention and the dining staff brought me my food. P.S. Don't remember the letter of the cabin - just that it was on the bottom floor.

1 Helpful Vote