Queen Elizabeth Review

Peter Fuchs
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jul 2022
Cabin: Balcony (partially obstructed view)
Traveled with disabled person

We are two retirees who are in generally good health, but with a few mobility issues. Neither of us has had any respiratory illnesses in the last ten years. We wanted to take a transatlantic cruise to Europe, and were attracted to Cunard because almost exactly ten years ago we sailed on this very ship, The Cunard Queen Elizabeth, around the Greek islands, and had a fabulous time. In fact in 2012 we thought this was the best cruise experience we had ever had. So we felt Cunard was a safe bet for our transatlantic desires. Wow, did we turn out to be wrong.

This cruise started out fine. The staff seemed attentive, and though the ship looked a lot more worn than before, our stateroom seemed pleasant, and the AC worked well. Those things continued throughout the cruise. Our stateroom intendant was a nice guy and basically quite competent at his job. He reflected our experience with most of the other crew members. Almost all seemed eager to help, though they seemed frustrated in a number of ways by what they had to deal with on the ship.

The food seemed skillfully made in some ways, but hampered by the ingredients. Every beef dish we tried for the whole cruise seemed made with lower quality meat. Not very tasty. Surprisingly the lamb was quite good, and that is ironic because usually lamb is the least likely to be good on a cruise whip. The fish dishes were also very mediocre. The best thing were some of the desserts, which showed a real flair. Somewhat surprisingly also, room service was the best part of the food presentations. It was efficient, quick, polite, and often tasted better than the dining room. This became of importance to us because we ended up having a lot of room service, but not for a fun reason. We always eat at the late seating for dinners. Usually late seatings are the least crowded on cruise ships, and that has been so on EVERY cruise we have taken, except this cruise, with very terrible results. For when we arrived in the dining room the first night we were shocked to see the dining totally packed with not one table left empty. I specifically asked the maitre'd to seat us away from other patrons, because of social distancing concerns. Instead he sat us right in the middle of a crowded area where tables were no more than 6 inches apart! I protested, and he said, "this is all we have tonight." Because of mobility issues I did not have energy to walk all the way out, and go back to the room right away. So we stayed where they put us. In addition, the air was very stuffy in the dining room, and several times I asked them to turn up the AC, but they never did. Later, I asked the waiter why it was so crowded in the this dining for late seating, and he then told me that they only had one dining room, whereas they usually have two, the other being on the upper floor. He expressed frustration that they had closed the other dining room as well, because the air was quite stuffy for them as well, doing the work. I later confirmed with the maitre'd that they had closed the upper dining room, and when I asked why , he just shrugged. The next night we asked to be re-seated away from other people, and they found a table without some many people around. But the following night that area was filled up as well. I protested again, and they again reseated the next night, and at first it was fine, but then the same thing happened, they kept on filling in the tables with people. Well, the reader can probably guess where this description is going. We tested positive for Covid, and were isolated, and got somewhat sick.

Balcony (partially obstructed view)

10 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Queen Elizabeth Cruise from $249

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.