• Newsletter

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Nov 2022
Cabin: Ocean Suite

The only reason I took this trip was because I was offered the opportunity to travel with a very old friend and an extended group of her mother's friends. I flew to Charleston from Chicago and had a one-night precruise at the very nice Hotel Bennett (arranged independently). I Ubered to the port at 12 for our 12:30 check-in time (coordinated against those arriving by car from NC). The embarkation process is convoluted and long, but I had expected this from researching on YouTube. Despite being advised that my friend and I would have to check in together, this turned out not to be the case. Once checked in, there appeared to be a long wait for buses to the next building for security. As a suite guest, I was able to expedite that but there was some sort of server failure and they halted embarkation. As a result we waited on very crowded shuttle buses outside the security building. Once inside there were two very long lines for security prior to boarding. Once onboard I was surprised that there was no one at the end of the gangway to greet us and welcome us aboard.

Muster was similar to what other lines have adopted post-covid with a check-in at the Muster Station and a video later. Some in our party were credited on their app as having checked in when they had not. We found the crew at the muster unable to effectively communicate in English and this gave us both safety concerns.

I also find it odd that Carnival doesn't just give you your room key at check-in. Weird.

Ocean Suite

We had Ocean Suite 7222 - a great midships location. Room was clean but all wood surfaces were tacky. This was true throughout the ship. I suspect that whatever solution they're using for sanitizing isn't really intended for wood surfaces. The room is a tad on the small size, especially the bath which is almost nonfunctional it's so cramped. The soft furnishings were on the newer side with the beds and pillows nicely comfortable. The towels are awful, rough and small. As expected on a ship of this age, outlets are limited and in awkward locations. The windows and glass under the railing are permanently weathered. It would have been nice if they had been cleaned of salt spray before we embarked and again at Nassau. As noted by other travelers, noise from the hallway penetrates the room. The tv system has surprisingly limited programming and no "smart capabilities."

Port Reviews

Nassau

Nassau strikes my as a little disheveled. They are working hard at updating the port infrastructure. The town is full of very aggressive folks trying to capitalize on cruise visitors.

Charleston

Charleston is a terrible embarkation port because it lacks infrastructure. The city has decided to stop being a turnaround port and has not renewed its agreement with Carnival. They hope to develop themselves as a port of call.

2 Helpful Votes