• Newsletter
  • Cruise Tips

Oasis of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
51 Awards

Main Dining Room Food and Stateroom was a Highlight, Embarkation Could Use Some Improvement

Review for Oasis of the Seas to the Eastern Caribbean
jessi1564
6-10 Cruises • Age 30s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Nov 2022
Cabin:

Overall, we had an absolutely wonderful cruise on Oasis! There were many, many positives, but first I'll start with just one negative thing that could be improved. Our check-in experience, in a nutshell, was a total nightmare. We waited in line for an hour and a half, about 45 minutes of which was in the hot sun with no shade. Now, we are a couple with no kids in our thirties in pretty good shape and used to the outdoors, but I cannot imagine being elderly and having to endure that wait, or having three kids who were hot, thirsty, and miserable. It was mass chaos when we arrived. There was a massive line that wrapped almost around the entire terminal building, and worst of all is that people were constantly cutting into this line instead of going all the way to the back. It took some vocal complaints from guests in line, including from myself, to finally get the terminal staff to monitor the line and direct guests coming from the parking deck to the back rather than cutting in front of everyone. I was astounded that it was so disorganized and miserable for everyone, as every single Sunday it's presumably the same routine; shouldn't the staff have figured it out by now?

Also, and this was not the fault of any person, but the procedure for dropping off our bags and then parking in the deck was the craziest thing I've ever experienced embarking on a cruise. After dropping off our bags, we were told by the porter that we needed to make a U-turn almost immediately to go up into the parking deck and park. However, we, along with MANY other guests I spoke to, including everyone in our party of eight, did not see this turn, as there was absolutely no sign at all. We spent 20 minutes trying to find our way back to the parking deck after dropping off our luggage, and again, there are many other guests who had the same problem. Between the parking problems and the hour and a half line to board the ship that other guests kept cutting, it was a terrible first impression and a miserable embarkation experience.

Once we were onboard, our experience drastically improved. Our stateroom attendant was wonderful! He learned both of our names immediately. I don't see how he learns everyone's names so quickly - it's really impressive! Every single time we saw him in the hallway, he greeted us and asked how our day was going and/or if we needed anything additional for our room. After we requested ice on the first evening, there was ice waiting in our room every single afternoon when we returned from lunch and every single evening when we returned from dinner. And not only was our attendant extremely friendly, every other stateroom attendant we passed in the hallway would greet us and step out of the way to let us pass. We go on a lot of Royal cruises, and it is honestly like this every single cruise. I have so much admiration for the crew and their ability to maintain such a positive demeanor at all times while working very long hours with hardly any time off.

We were fortunate to be staying in room 11329, which is at the very end of the hallway in the aft part of the ship, with a boardwalk balcony overlooking the aqua theater. Before I booked this room, I studied YouTube videos to make sure we'd be able to see the show from our room through the Ultimate Abyss Slide (on some decks the slide was blocking the view a lot more). And our room did not disappoint. We watched multiple shows from our balcony and were amazed at the talent and commitment of all involved in the show. Our friends who we were traveling with also had an amazing view of the aqua show from their room 8729. They were three decks below us and directly across the boardwalk on the other side of the ship. If you want the best view of the aqua show without paying an arm and a leg for an aqua theater suite, I'd highly recommend either our room, 11329, 11729, 8329, or 8729. All those rooms have views where you have a direct line of sight through the Ultimate Abyss Slide, but on decks 9, 10, and 12, your view will be partially blocked (decks 10 and 12) or almost completely blocked (deck 9) by the slide.

8 Helpful Votes