• Newsletter

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2022
Cabin: Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

We had always wanted to cruise Alaska and Hawaii and here was a cruise that did both.Prior to this cruise you had to prove that you had had a negative Covid-19 test no more than 3 days prior to sailing. Fortunately we did not have that hassle, unfortunately neither did anyone else, including the ship and it's crew. We did not realize it but the first bad sign came the first morning at breakfast. We decided to go for breakfast in the main Windows dining room, we sat down placed our order, the fruit juices came and that was that for 50 minutes, 50 minutes. We complained to anyone in uniform that came near our table, one even in a white uniform who all apologized profusely. When the food did arrive 10 minutes later it was just lukewarm, we ate it anyway, who knows it could have been another hour before we got anything if we had let them take it away to bring fresh stuff.

We had been on this ship before, more than 2 refits ago, much had changed! Although to my untrained eye, the millions that they had spent on 2 refits, seemed to have been spent solely on paint as I could see no other changes. Food was not as well cooked, whoever the cooks were knew only how to blanche vegetables, fancy chefs call it al-dente, I call it al-most raw. Very little change in the menus in any of the restaurants on a daily basis, very expensive wines ($21 for a glass of ST MIchelle reisling $9.99 per bottle in Albany NY)

Did not get to Skagway Capt said because of stormy weather, I now believe it was because they knew that Covid was rampant on ship and Skagway would not let them In. After 6 days on ship my wife and I both had sore throats one morning and knowing the high price of seeing medicos on ships, we decided that my wife would go as she was worse. I got a phone call about an hour later to say that she had tested positive for Covid-19 and that she had been put in a quarantine cabin, as a close contact I should wait in our cabin until someone had been to test me. Someone came about 15 minutes later and did the test and about an hour later I was called again and told that I tested negative, so I was free to roam the ship. It was not suggested that I wear a mask just in case I later tested positive.

Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

Cleaned very well by Ray our Steward but was very noisy with engine noise and clanging all night and we were on deck 6.

Small for an Oceanview cabin