• Newsletter
  • Cruise Tips

Norwegian Breakaway Review

Editor Rating
2 Awards

What has happened to NCL?

Review for Norwegian Breakaway to Canada & New England
kaydeefl
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2022
Cabin:

We haven't cruised since COVID changed the world. We understand the new way of being. Got it. Not the issue.

To begin, we had transfers, airport to hotel, hotel to ship, ship to airport. Completely unsatisfied. Upon arrival (JFK) we followed the (limited) instructions on the documents in hand only to find no one there to provide the transport. To shorten a miserable and tedious story, SEVEN phone calls later, I am connected to an NCL call center agent. She listens to my story and INSISTS that I am wrong. NCL NEVER provides airport to hotel transfers. I objected (strenuously) and read the documents to her that I was holding. She continued to insist there was no airport to hotel service which is why no one was there (this was after being told by others (during the previous calls) to go to different terminals...) to greet us. She stated we were on our own and should find our own transport from JFK to Manhattan (west side).

I then insisted on a refund. This took one hour and forty five minutes with her on my mobile. We did find a cab and set out for Manhattan. Halfway there the NCL representative says (laughing) "oh! you were RIGHT! We DO offer airport to hotel transfers!" I am not impressed. I asked her if that was the case, then where was the transport company. She had no answer, nor did the other NCL representatives she said she was working with to resolve the situation. Needless to say, it did not set off the holiday very well. We supposedly had our transport/transfer fee returned (still waiting) and a $50 onboard credit issued. We lost a full half day of our holiday and paid $75 in cab fare.

Enrico was our steward. He was wonderful. Attentive. Through and pleasantly provided an extra blanket and pillows. He was not intrusive, yet warm and friendly.

The cabin had a small balcony, and the space between the bed and closet was very tight, otherwise, sufficient space for two people. Very limited electrical outlets, so you may want to bring a strip.

Port Reviews

Bar Harbor

We love Bar Harbor and this visit did not disappoint. We purchased some items from the Native American handcraft shop, had lunch at Geddy's (DELICIOUS) and tried the pie (blueberry) at A Slice of Eden (give it a miss, blech).

Easy port to walk to shops and along the seacoast. No reason for an excursion unless you are interested in something specific that can't be found in Bar Harbor itself.

Newport

Lovely port to walk along the seaside. Enjoyed our lunch at MidTown Oyster Bar. Excellent food and service! Friendly help at the information center. Rained quite a bit. The woman with the chowder right near the pier was doing a bang up business! Her chowder (her mother's recipe) was delicious. We purchased a seasoning packet from her.

Halifax

We LOVE Halifax! The boardwalk area is so welcoming, clean and easy to navigate. We thoroughly enjoyed our delicious lunch at The Bicycle Thief. Get the caramel butterscotch cake. Trust me! Avoid Smoke's poutine. Nothing to recommend it. We purchased some pewter at a shop there. Sweet holiday decorations and a key holder. Lovely area, well worth the stroll.

Saint John (New Brunswick)

St. John is a nice port and an easy area to walk through and around. We like the city market and found some nice butter tarts there. We did not purchase anything other than the tarts, but enjoyed our stroll through the area immediate to the ship docking area.

New York (Manhattan)

We came in early to spend some extra time on the West Side. We love NYC and spent a couple of days walking around in the area visiting Chelsea Market (we used the subway to and from there) and having lunch at an Italian restaurant there. So many things to do in this port, you are spoiled for choice.

7 Helpful Votes