• Newsletter

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2022
Cabin: Mini-Suite with Balcony

We chose this Alaska cruise almost immediately after a cruise on Holland America in June - this was our 3rd trip to Alaska. We also had to use up a credit we had with Princess from 2020. We had such a fantastic experience on the Zuiderdam in June we couldn't wait to go back. This was our third Princess cruise to date, previous cruises were Royal Princess in the Mediterranean and Caribbean Princess British Isles. Our current Alaska cruise just reinforced our resolve to cruise on smaller ships in future.

First, embarkation - a total nightmare. In 20 plus cruises this was the absolute worst - 2.5 hours spent in long, snaking lines that never seemed to end. Social distancing was pretty non-existent, with some passengers unmasked despite the rules. We were unable to get to 'green lane' prior to arrival as the wonderful medallion app would not permit us to download our photos. We were not able to find the 'blue lane' due to the sea of bodies and staff were only concerned with plucking elites and suite guests from the melee. We reached a point where we seriously considered bailing on the cruise and heading back to the airport it was that bad! I felt sorry for older passengers having to endure this. Once on the ship we went directly to our stateroom, a mini suite on Aloha deck to drop our bags. Room was nice enough but balcony was tiny as was expected with this class of ship. By contrast, our signature suite on the Zuiderdam was very spacious with a huge balcony and was cheaper than our mini suite. We had already been warned about the automatic night lights in the cabin so when we met our cabin steward Jeffrey (he was awesome!) we asked him to please fix the one outside the bathroom for us which he did. Throughout the cruise he was amazing, just the sweetest, most efficient guy. He had 17 cabins to service on his own, no idea how he managed.

Second, the Medallion app. Hated it. Having to use it to book restaurant reservations on it prior to the cruise was a nightmare. Having to do anything on it prior to the cruise was an exercise in frustration - nothing about it is intuitive. I was never able to login - always had to use my booking number, name, birthdate etc. which was a pain. We were never able to get to green lane as it would not accept our photos....made us late in leaving for the airport as we were trying right up to that point! I tried to buy the internet service for hubby on it but because I am Canadian and booked in Canadian dollars but registered a US credit card (the package was priced in CDN$) I ended up having to call Princess to get it done. This worked until I checked my summary on my computer - she booked 2 packages instead of just one. I cancelled the one and eventually it came off my credit card.

Mini-Suite with Balcony

Cabin was adequate, bed comfortable, storage adequate. No outlet on night table which we missed. We brought adaptors with us so no problem charging devices. Bathroom a decent size. Balcony very tiny as expected. Sofa bed was worn, not that comfortable to sit on.

Port Reviews

Juneau

We have been here before but wanted to go to the glacier since the last time was in 2008. Price fixing at the port said it would be $45 per person round trip just to get there so we opted for the local bus which was $4 each round trip and required we walk to the park which was 1.3 miles each way, not a big deal for us. Once there we hiked to Nugget Falls which was lovely.

Ketchikan

Port time was shortened and we had been there before, had lunch at the Alaska Fish House - wonderful as always. Hiked up the river to see the salmon running, an amazing sight!

Amazing day, beautiful weather. Didn't get as close as we did on Holland America in 2008 but did get to see some calving. There was also a colony of Stellar sea lions on the island in front of the glacier.

12 Helpful Votes