• Newsletter

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jan 2022
Cabin:
Vela and Diamant in the background

We discovered Island Windjammer in 2015; I'd been trying to persuade my wife to try a cruise for years - Barefoot Windjammer had long since gone - but she dug her heels in and resisted and resisted. Finally I wore her down and she agreed to try an Island Windjammer cruise on Sagitta on the the condition that if she didn't like it I was never to mention it again. I agreed to the terms, we sailed on Sagitta, she absolutely loved it and here we are, 7 years and over 20 Island Windjammer cruises later, still trying to cram as many as we can in our retirement years.

We have sailed on all three Island Windjammer ships many times and experienced all their itineraries, we have our favorites sure, but we'd take any ship, any itinerary, any time.

In February this year we sailed on Vela out of St Maarten, we'd hooked up with a bunch of shipmates from previous sailings and had an absolute blast. The Caribbean islands were just starting to open up again after Covid, cruise itineraries were obviously having to be modified, by-passing some islands that were still closed to travellers and some whose Covid entry requirements were too limiting to an island-hopping operation. But there were six glorious days of white sand beaches, funky little beach bars, crystal clear water for swimming and snorkeling, dinners on deck under the stars and best of all for me, hours under sail, relaxing with a drink watching for dolphins and turtles.

We are now in our mid-seventies and we like our comfort. Whenever we can, we book the owner's cabin. On all the ships the OC is the biggest cabin, has a king (yes king) size bed and more room to move around. We have sailed in all classes of cabin (except the solos) and whilst they are necessarily small, they have comfortable beds, a/c and compact bathrooms. We always found them adequate but comfortable, especially as, as there was so much fun to be had outside, we spent as little time in them as possible. The steward(s) kept them clean and tidy and made up the beds every morning.

1 Helpful Vote