• Newsletter
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Aurora Review

Editor Rating

Good return to cruising but chaotic at times

Review for Aurora to the British Isles & Western Europe
Cooltocruise1
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2022
Cabin:

DH and I tried this cruise as we wanted to see if we still loved cruising after 2+ years without, due to the dreaded Covid. We also wanted to visit Amsterdam and as this was the only stop on the trip it seemed a good idea to kill two birds with one stone.

I booked through a local TA who as exemplary in their help when communication with P and O was necessary. We paid a very good price for 4 day mini cruise staying in AFT superior deluxe balcony, Our preferred location is mid ships and close to lifts due to my mobility problems but we were happily surprised at the aft location and proximity to lifts of cabin that we were assigned as we were saver fare passengers. Having read some reviews I was a bit concerned re cabin but it was lovely and the savings on a select fare were quite dramatic, so for a 4 day try out cruise we were very happy. I completed a medical requirements form before sailing and was wheel-chaired on to the ship surprisingly quickly after parking car. After many emails from P and O informing me I may not be able to embark if I did not supply innumerable printed forms re our vaccination status, proof of insurance , boarding passes and health declaration forms it turned out that none of these were required as they were not even glanced at and when asked I just said yes I had taken a Covid test before I turned up. This was sufficient for my photograph to be taken and for us to be taken onto ship. Enr-oute we popped to our muster station and our cards were scanned. The day before the cruise we had been informed that we would not be stopping at Amsterdam after all but would be going to Ijmuden and Zeebrugge instead. We were d not surprised as there had been several email hints before the cruise that this would be difficult and we were given £100 obc to assuage the disappointment. Later in the cruise we were informed that we would not even be going to Ijmuden as they couldnt supply buses for transfer to Amsterdam so we would be sailing an extra day instead. We went around in so many circles on this cruise I was getting dizzy and at one point we ended up very near Poole in Dorset which was lovely as it gave us a chance to sunbathe but again no proper communication from the captain or indeed anyone added to a feeling of chaos. The cancelled port information was drip fed to us by the captain very badly and his "speech" about the voucher for free fizz to celebrate the cruise and how wonderful the crew were and how Aurora was the best ship ever was embarassing. Also not good was the way we were told that there would be no evening turn down. This was mumbled at us by a masked cabin steward whom we never saw again. We left notes asking for extra tea and milk sachets which were ignored and all in all I felt the service on the ship was perfunctory to say the least. We do not need an evening turn down as we are adults and can get into bed without but its a little service that is lost and the communication was poor, leaving a feeling of being a nuisance and certainly not a valued customer.

The food was okay. Breakfast in the MDR was chaotic to say the least and we waited 40 minutes for our breakfast on the first morning, We ate Evening meals in the Horizon which was always quiet. You would not starve on this ship but its definitely nearer 3 stars for food and service rather than 4 or 5.

4 Helpful Votes