• Newsletter

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Aug 2022
Cabin: Balcony
A look at the cramped shower.
Doorless closet and peek inside the cabinet with life vests and small safe.
The sail away party was very entertaining. One of the better events I've seen.
View from my balcony on Baja (deck 11).
Embarkation in Southampton was flawless, thanks to the Medallion.
Bathroom vanity is fairly standard. No issues found.
The Princess Theater. One level and no bad seats.
A view of the Island Princess while in Cobh.
My stateroom, B233. Bring/buy magnets for the steel walls. Perfect for hanging notes or watercolor done onboard.
Andi, our CD. I loved how he always said, "Seventher-ee, nine ther-ee," when discussing showtimes. Almost like it was one word.
When the lights went during the show and engines stopped, I took this selfie of the theater with emergency lights turned on and guests using their phones as flashlights.
Anchored in Isafjordur, Iceland.
In the atrium. Very stately and not at all gaudy, as many tend to be.
Me and the Princess in Isafjordur, Iceland. This is from the lookout point, which is in walking distance from the dock.
In my stateroom. B233 on deck 11. Lots of storage and very decent sized room.
Hand tossed pizza near the outdoor pool on deck 14 forward. The pizza was always fresh, hot and wonderful.
The requisite selfie with the ship logo.
Inside the thermal spa. Great facility...when everything works. Very few other people used this on my voyage. Most days I had the room to myself.
Inside one of 3 steam rooms in the thermal spa.
One of 3 steam rooms in the thermal spa.
One day, there was a martini demonstration. I got to make and have a dirty martini. On sea days, there were various activities in the atrium.
The hot beds in the thermal spa.
This plaque recognizes the remodel that took away a popular lounge and the ability to walk all the way around the Promenade deck.
The thermal spa locker room was nice. Inside the lockers are robes and slippers. Supposedly, one can set their own combination without the need for a key. This was not functioning on my cruise and they had no keys.

This one is not open to the public, but used for thermal spa and appointment guests. There is a shower, as well.
This was announced as the 1st champagne waterfall onboard since it went away due to covid. I'd never seen one this large. It was very elegant.
On one of the last sea days was a cooking demonstration in the Princess Theater. I was impressed at how funny these guys made this show. Very well done.
A look inside the locker in the thermal spa locker room.
The patio of my stateroom was large enough for me. I spent a lot of time here, but often the cigarette smoke from the smoking area 3 decks up blew downward and was irritating.
A look over the bow from the sun deck. This deck never seemed to have anything going on. There is no shade, but there is a wading pool that was netted off during my voyage.
A look at the main pool.
Another look inside the thermal spa.
Returning from port on a tender.
Using both chairs, I was able to lounge quite comfortably on the patio.
Tendering back to the ship in Falmouth.
On the first night, I dined solo in the Bordeaux Dining room. Very classy service, terrific food, and a varied menu.
At the end of one of our production shows. These are some talented people and the shows were very well orchestrated. Always got standing ovations.

Princess Cruise Island Princess

Southampton rt to Ireland, Iceland, & Greenland

August 12, 2022 16 nights

Balcony

CABIN (B233 on deck 11)-- 9 of 10

My starboard balcony stateroom was in a great location. I didn’t realize they didn’t include floor 13 (skips from 12 to 14), so I was 2 flights down from the buffet, not 3, as expected. I was a short distance from the elevator and no neighboring door right next to mine.

The balcony was perfectly sized. There are 2 reclining chairs and a side table. They aren’t as private as expected, with spaces in the dividers that allow looky-loos to see in the cabin if so inclined. The downside was often smelling cigarettes from the smoking area 3 decks above. This was a daily issue.

The doorless closet is visible to guests in the hallway when the cabin door is open. The bathroom vanity is decent sized, but the shower was the smallest I’ve ever encountered. Happy I’m not a person of size. There wouldn’t be room for water to reach the drain. Very good water pressure.

The shower floor and toilet seat have obviously never been replaced, and the main reason for the 9 rating. Everything functioned. There was no vibration felt in the cabin. The safe is small and doesn’t automatically open as most do.

There is plenty of storage and room under the bed for my suitcase. I appreciated that the outlet is close enough to the bed. There is no USB outlet. There is a small fridge and no mini bar items to contend with.

The best part is that the Medallion unlocks the door as you approach the room. It was easy with full hands to access the room. A screen outside the door shows messages and your photo when you approach. I don’t care for it showing my first and last name for the whole ship to view at all times. But it’s easy to figure out which rooms are vacant.

My steward was great and remembered special requests daily. Again, being understaffed meant that my cabin often wasn’t made up until 11AM or later. He simply had too many cabins to clean.

Port Reviews

Akureyri

Nice port with plenty of activities. Visit the round building visitor center for a lot of information on this and other areas of Iceland. Here, I discovered a public bus to Godafoss that cost $12 round trip, as opposed to paying $50+ for other tours. The little downtown touristy area was quite nice.

Cobh (Cork)

Thought I was going to go into Cork, but on arrival, at seeing how nice this town is, and being my first visit to Ireland, I decided to discover this area instead. I'm glad I did. Lots of great things to see, several museums, a Titanic park, a grand cathedral, a nice park and sweeping views of the channel and bay.

Isafjord

Quaint little town. I walked through the port area with the oldest homes on the island and up to the look out point with a great view of the town and fjord. Don't miss this. There is a nice grocery store downtown, and if you walk along the docks away from town, there is a very nice wine store.

3 Helpful Votes