• Newsletter

10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Aug 2022
Cabin:

I was really looking forward to my first Med cruise in 3 years but I was very disappointed with this cruise. Britannia herself is clean and tidy enough but I really miss having a proper prom deck to walk around - for most of the cruise, exits to prom deck were closed off. I used The Retreat most days and while it was a bonus having a quiet, adult only area, it looked very tired - ripped beds, missing mattresses. They offer a Retreat menu but there are only 2 options for lunch (one of which is a big plate of salad) and there were only two daily menus throughout the cruise so very, very limited choice. Stewards were lovely, however. Ate in MDR most nights and the food was bland and uninspiring with limited choices - desserts were particularly bad and we sent several back. Ate in Epicurean and Sindhu and food there was a little better but cost extra. Best culinary experience by far was eating at Chef's Table in Cookery Club - outstanding food and excellent value for money. Avoided buffet. Entertainment was distinctly average - daily quizzes were particularly awful with young Entertainment staff who clearly didn't have a clue what they were doing. One positive was the incredibly helpful and friendly bar and waiting staff - far better than on Iona. My cabin steward was also wonderful. To sum up - a P&O cruise used to be something special and you felt valued and cosseted from the moment you stepped on board but now the whole experience feels cheap and tacky and we are clearly customers not passengers. I had two cruises booked for next summer but I have cancelled both and I am definitely voting with my feet.

Good size room although decor is looking a little tired. There was a sofa which doubled as an extra bed but it was very uncomfortable to sit on so rarely used as a sofa. Good sized bathroom with shower over bath - water pressure very poor in shower. Balcony was smaller than I remember.

10 Helpful Votes