• Newsletter
  • Cruise Tips

American Star Review

-- / 5.0
Editor Rating

Awful cruise and customer services

Review for American Star to the USA
Bholley215
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Aug 2022
Cabin: Cabin AAL

We cruised New England in August 2022 on the American Star. It was awful. The worst cruise I have ever taken. The ship is old and in need of much maintenance. We had sewage back up in our shower 3 times. We embarked the ship from a different port than advertised. Had we not been on the pre- cruise exercuion we would have missed the ship, because we wre never informed of the embarking port change. We were supposed to embark in Providence Rhode Island but it was New Bedford that we embarked. The ship never made it to 3 of 7 ports advertised. We missed Providence, Nantucket and Block Island. Martha's Vineyard was cut short because we couldn't dock and had to ferry over from New Bedford. The captain kept us in New Bedford 3 nights, because he said the wind gust were too high and the anchor wouldn't hold. However, we were suppose to dock not anchor. The ferries and other boats were sailing, but not the American Star. The excursions mostly consisted of trolley rides around the town. The ship had one weathered elliptical and one weathered stationary bike on the ouside deck for its fitness program. Thevstaff was friendly but they were understaffed, unorganized and untrained. Some staff walked off in the middle of the cruise and new ones came on. I called customer service. I was told to email. I emailed customer service and the president. I stated my dissatisfaction with the cruise. I asked for a statement of why the ship couldn't sail so I could file a claim with my travel insurance. I have ask for a statement a total of 5 times. Two while on the ship 3 in emails after the cruise. A month later, I have not received a statement. I also asked for a partial refund. The president sent a letter say they advertise the American Star as their oldest ship. He was glad I had positive interaction with the staff. He said, he wanted to restore my confidence by offering me 25% discount on another cruise. They had already offered 20% off to everyone,if they booked on the cruise. Their customer service is non- existent. I will not sail with them ever again. I do not recommend thier cruises.

Cabin AAL

We had sewage back up in Shower 3 times.

2 Helpful Votes