• Newsletter

10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jun 2022
Cabin: Deluxe Balcony

We booked a cruise through Avoya Travel on the "MSC Seaside", departing Marseille on June 3rd, 2022. On our arrival in Marseille on June 1st, Avoya Travel emailed me to inform us that our cruise had been cancelled! We had to decide within a few hours whether to accept a booking on another cruise, with a different itinerary on the "MSC Seaview", departing a day later, or take a full refund. We were already in Marseille. What choice did we have? We had to go on the later cruise. Avoya's Lisa Paine said that MSC would refund us for additional hotel and travel expenses incurred.

Checking in was a nightmare. MSC staff could not understand our (non-EU) medical insurance status. One positive is that our balcony cabin was marvelous - the best we have had in 12 or so cruises. There were assurances everywhere that passengers' health was MSC's priority. In fact, the dining room was so congested (elbow to elbow) that I suspect that many passengers caught Covid there alone. We had one dinner in the formal dining room and got every other meal from the buffet and ate on deck. The food was just OK, just above economy air travel, certainly not as good as Norwegian, Celebrity, Holland America, Princess or others we have traveled on.

The excursions were quite good, especially the biking ones and were reasonably priced. Ship's staff were excellent. I pity some of them, who I was sure, would have been happier working on any other line. I was surprised how often I heard frustrated French, Italian, Spanish and other speaking passengers try to communicate with staff who could only converse in English (or their native language).

Deluxe Balcony

Well designed and laid out. Bathroom is spacious and functional. The best cabin we have had on any cruise.

1 Helpful Vote