• Newsletter

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jul 2022
Cabin: Veranda Suite

First. I think Viking is the best river cruise company around. Second. If we had done the Romantic Danube first and the Rhine Getaway second I think my review would be different. But the Rhine Getaway was so fabulous and magical that it is hard to compare. Our trip was also during an unusual low tide with ongoing airline travel issues - both problematic. That said - here are the highs and lows of our trip. We stayed in a suite - worth every penny. Service across the ship is impeccable. Food was great, good choices, plenty to eat, well-prepared. The lounge was fun and Carlos rocked - even invented an ice cream when kitchen was closed. There were occassional lectures (not enough). One cooking demonstration (not enough) and not a lot going on. I choose Viking because I don't want Carnival chaos but this was really bland. But the BIG downside were the excursions. The guides were knowledgeable and interesting but there just was not all that much to see. You rarely went inside any of the buildings. You walked the town perimeters. You rode a bus for longer than the excursion on occassion and due to airline difficulties we lost our first day and due to low tide, could not cruse to the last port of call or go on the excursion I was most looking forward to. Very disappointing. And not a lot of effort was made to make up for that. Something as simple as a bike ride would have helped but was unavailable on our last land-locked day and we ended up in a commerical port that was simply ugly. Not what you would want for your final river view or experience. Viking also waited to the last possible minute to advise of the low river issues, so canceling would have resulted in zero refund. Not cool. Would I consider Viking again? Probably. But they need to do a better job with their excursion descriptions and I need to do a better job reading independent reviews.

Veranda Suite

Stayed in suite 320. Lots of space. Excellent service and perks - champagne, wine, fresh fruit, etc. Highly recommend.

Port Reviews

Durnstein (Krems)

The Gottweig Abbey is the only excursion that met our expectations. It was absolutely spectacular.

2 Helpful Votes