CYBER MONDAY DEALS! Get discounts on top-rated cruises. View Deals

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jul 2022
Cabin:
MS Polarys

My land tour was cancelled at the last minute and I had to find an alternative. Hurtigruten was all I could find but it is little more than a passenger ferry and an expensive one at that! I could have bought a new car for what I paid Hurtigruten and they‘nickel and dime’ their passengers for everything from extortionate alcohol prices to expensive bus ride excursions which passengers could do cheaper themselves. I paid almost$15,000 Australian dollars and travelled solo but what I got was just above a youth hostel standard of accommodation and no entertainment or on board activities for 12 days. It really was a boring and uneventful experience for me. After reading other similar reviews on Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor I can only wish I had known earlier on and booked something else or just travelled solo to these places for a quarter of the expense. Hindsight is a wonderful thing when we travel isn’t it?????

The MS Polarys is a passenger and cargo ferry that sails the west coast of Norway. The buffet dining is fine but food tends to get cold if left. Perhaps bain-maries should be kept to keep the food warm during dining hours. My stateroom was adequate for a single person although I had to pay a single supplement. The staff are helpful and my cabin was serviced daily. However, entertainment and activities are non-existent and for the price I paid for my Norwegian cruise, I would have expected much more. I won't travel on Hurtigruten again.

It was just a basic cabin with a skinny single bed.

1 Helpful Vote