• Newsletter
  • Cruise Tips

Emerald Princess Review

Editor Rating
1 Award

Excellent cruise with just a few exceptions

Review for Emerald Princess to the British Isles & Western Europe
javamanad
6-10 Cruises • Age 50s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jul 2022
Cabin: Balcony
Emerald Princess from our tender as we headed into a port - Portland or Guernsey - can't remember which.

This was our family's BIG vacation, with my wife and I bringing our three adult children along with us, as well - perhaps for the last time as a fully-funded trip. As the first family vacation since COVID started, this was also a big deal for all of us in that we really NEEDED a vacation, as well. We spent four days in London first, renting a flat via VRBO near the Thames. That went, pretty much, without incident (wife's phone got stolen in Picadilly Circus - keep your phones in a zippered pocket if possible), and we headed out from Southampton, as scheduled on July 8th. The Emerald Princess, regardless of what you might read, is still a great ship. We've sailed on the Ruby Princess, a sister ship, and these are all really nice. It's not huge, but not tiny either - a nice size with surprisingly-large staterooms. I say that, but don't get your hopes up - this is still a cruise ship. The balcony room we had R338, was slightly larger than other balcony rooms we have had in the past, which was great, considering we had three of us in that room for 12 days. The room was clean and our steward was excellent. My two sons had an interior room across the hall and that was a little larger than similar interior rooms I've experienced in the past, as well. Dining was great - no lines for our anytime dining in the Di Vinci dining room. The outside decks, pools were clean and nice. The entertainment was just fine - nothing to complain about. The only thing we wish was better was that we really wish there was better information on the ports' ground transportation situations. It seems that, unless you had booked an excursion (we booked two, but it's not cheap when everything is times five), you are really left to fend on your own once you step on shore. It seems that hasn't been the case on other cruises we were on, pre-COVID, but maybe my memory is incorrect. In any case, in many ports, once on shore, you had to hunt for the ground transport to get you into the heart of whatever town you wanted to get into. In many cases, taxis were not available, so you had to rely on city buses or trains. This is fine, but we wish we knew beforehand. Overall, though, the cruise, itself was great. So yes, the Emerald Princess is 16 years old, and doesn't have water slides or go-carts, but it's a great ship with plenty of amenities, so don't let the reviews that claim she's past her prime fool you. I will add that we traveled during a major UK heatwave, so the seas were like glass - very little wind, very mild temps, and only a drizzle worth of rain. In the North Atlantic, from what we've heard, seas can be a bit more rough, so keep that in mind. I didn't have to use my seasick patches at all, which was great.

Balcony

Excellent cabin - larger than we expected.

5 Helpful Votes