• Newsletter
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Scenic Gem Review

Editor Rating

So much fun! First time river cruiser and loved it!

Review for Scenic Gem to Europe River
Qiu-Shiang
First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jun 2022
Cabin:
Traveled with children

We shopped around quite a bit - considered Scenic, Avalon, Viking, Amadeus, AMA-waterways, and others. Ultimately chose Scenic because there was a timely Travelzoo (!) 50% off special going on during our booking. Boy, the vacation we had on the river cruise was well-worth the money spent (and looking back, probably also worth more than what we spent).

We sought a Seine river cruise primarily because they offered the opportunity to visit where many Impressionist artists lived and painted, and also to learn / remember / pay respects to the brave Allied Expeditionary Force soldiers who fought and gave their lives on D-Day. (Brief itinerary overview: Paris - Les Andelys / Lyons-la-Foret - Rouen - Somme - Honfleur - Normandy Beach - Fecamp / Etretat - Vernon / Giverny / La Roche Guyon - Auvers-sur-Oise - Paris). I understand that this is a more-or-less standard port of call / excursion schedule for Seine river cruises but there wasn't a day where we did not thoroughly enjoy the excursions out.

Our group was warmly welcomed at the dock by Mandy and crew. What a relief it was to have all the bags we were lugging around taken to our rooms for us, and handed a flute of cold champagne to start the unwinding and relaxation process. Can't emphasize enough how the entire crew's warmth and hospitality that began our trip continued unceasingly on all the way through to its end!

We loved our room! Without the balcony, it felt big enough already, but was even bigger once the glass doors of the balcony were slid off to the side!

The bed was soft and comfortable, and after the first night of excellent sleep, my nervousness about not packing my memory foam pillow dispersed as it was oh so nice.

I really appreciated the closet space, which included two drawers for putting clothes as well as hangers and hanger space for dresses and bigger items of clothing. The closet space also includes a safe and a minifridge which is always kept well stocked with soft drinks and alcohol (I really liked the apple juice that was provided).

I was also quite happy with the bathroom - it's not super big, then again no cruise ship bathrooms are large - but it's well-equipped and the toilet / sink / shower appear brand new and clean. The shower is equipped with LED lights, which aren't that interesting for older folks, but definitely impressed my kids. You can reuse your towels or have the replaced daily, and the linens smell good (i.e. no industrial laundry smell).

One of my favorite things to do was to drop the balcony window and sit, either reading or just enjoying the breeze, chirping birds, and burbling river. I truly felt relaxed and at peace, happy to be on vacation, and this was an ideal way to spend my time off.

6 Helpful Votes