Navigator of the Seas Review

A few great things and more to work on

Review for the Mexican Riviera Cruise on Navigator of the Seas
cheesequesadilla
6-10 Cruises • Age 30s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jun 2022
Traveled with children

There were some good things about our cruise.  The COVID testing process for kids, while unfortunate to have to do, went as smoothly as it could have.  The staff running it were helpful and efficient; we were in and out in less than half an hour.  On the ship, the service in Windjammer and Cafe Promenade was fantastic - the people who work there were so kind and attentive!  The food from El Loco Fresh (and especially the green salsa) was delicious.  The availability of a "spacious" oceanview room was great, especially since our family has small children and concerns about the safety of a balcony, but needs a lot of space.  And finally, the Riptide water slide was incredibly fun, and the staff were very nice to my son.

Now for the things we did not like.  I should preface by saying this was our first RCCL cruise, though we have been on NCL, Princess, and Carnival in the past.  We purposely chose RCCL because of its alleged "autism-friendly" status.  I called the cruise line ahead of time to let them know that my 4-year-old son has autism and would need the accommodations they promise on their website.  On top of that, we paid for The Key.  I figured with both of those things, we would be in good shape.

The difficulties began at security.  The metal detector pinged when my 4-year-old went through (we still don't know why), triggering additional inspection.  That was fine, but when the staff abruptly told my son to stop, he freaked out and ran off (as he is prone to doing).  I found myself having to explain that he has autism.  This was the first of many times on the cruise when we wished he had been given some sort of bracelet to wear indicating that he has special needs and may struggle with some things.

12 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Navigator of the Seas Cruise from $208

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.