CYBER MONDAY DEALS! Get discounts on top-rated cruises. View Deals

RockingGma
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Apr 2022
Cabin: Veranda Stateroom
Friends dining on last night of cruise.

We chose Viking because we had heard wonderful things from friends who had traveled with Viking. We were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived in Amsterdam Airport, we were met by Viking personnel. I loved not having to worry about all the details that a trip like this involves. We did the extended excursions on both ends of the cruise, which we highly recommend. The hotels and experiences in Amsterdam, Netherlands AND Lucerne, Switzerland were outstanding. The ship, Hlin, was superb. The crew goes the extra mile to take care of your every need. We enjoyed the excursions offered every day on the trip. (The only one we were somewhat disappointed in was the wine tasting in Alcase, France. We all thought that we would be going to several wineries to try lots of wines. We ended up spending maybe 2 hours at one winery and only tasted 3 wines. But this could have been because of Covid.) We tried to do the free excursion and one other every day. We ate lunch on the ship most days to save money and it was easier. We do have advice for others: don't think you need to do every excursion every day. It is exhausting for one thing - plus the ship is so well equipped, we wished we had spent more time just relaxing on the ship. (They even have rocking chairs on the deck of the 3rd level, which I did not discover until almost the end of our cruise.) During our stay, there was one night that a passenger had a medical emergency. The River Police, medical staff and the crew handled it expertly. You could tell they had trained for such things. - which is good for everyone's peace of mind. We chose to just drink the wine and beer offered free with lunch and dinner rather than pay for the Spirit's Package. The wines were very good and flowed freely. The best part of the Viking Cruise was the people we met and formed friendships with. I loved the open seating for meals. Needless to say, we enjoyed our trip very much. This was our first Viking Cruise, but it will not be our last!

Veranda Stateroom

The cabin was tight, but we expected that. Loved the private balcony. There were lots of drawers and the closet was adequate. The king bed was comfy, but we would have been fine with a queen bed and more walking room within the room. The bathroom was fine except the shower was claustrophobic for me. I'm an average sized woman, but I can't imagine a large plus size person in that shower. Thank goodness we had researched well and brought a shoe holder to keep all our bathroom essentials in. The counter space was lacking - but we made do. We plan to upgrade next time.

Port Reviews

Amsterdam

Amsterdam was so photogenic and beautiful. 2 things I did not like were the rude bicyclist and all the construction - however I understand the need for both. ( Maybe not being so rude to tourist though!) We enjoyed the canal cruise and waking up early to explore the city. The Pulitzer Hotel was amazing and fun to explore.

previous reviewnext review