• Newsletter

2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Family

Sail Date: May 2022
Cabin: Veranda

I have loved Portuguese wine (and food) and the Douro literally for decades and this was the opportunity to finally get to be there in person and experience things first hand. The ships that cruise the Douro are of necessity smaller river craft in order to be able to go through the locks on the river. We had 92 passengers on board for this cruise. So, the ratings in the categories below are given within the constraints of a smaller sized ship that limits how much provisions and crew they can keep on board.

That said, the crew were very friendly, helpful and accommodating and many of the crew knew us by name. The excursions (with one exception) were excellent and that was the excursion that wound up with a tour and tasting at Sandeman. Sandeman was hugely disappointing; they poured us two wines and those were at the very bottom of their portfolio. That said, the optional excursion for the wine and food dinner at Graham' was perhaps the highlight of trip other than just seeing the awe-inspiring hillside vineyards. Graham's was pricey but absolutely worth it and if I go back to the Douro, I will do it again if it's offered. Outstanding!

A note about the "disabled person below: She has Parkinson's and walking is an issue that slows her down and limits her doing stairs and hills sometimes. But we never needed a wheelchair and the elevator on this ship moved her/us up and down just fine. There were actually a few people on the cruise who had more serious mobility issues than my partner, and a couple of times we had to remind the folks leading the on shore excursions not to move too quickly so they didn't leave anyone behind.

Veranda

Our cabin was fine and I certainly enjoyed sitting on our veranda and watching the Douro and the amazing vineyards pass by as we sailed along. I do with there was just a bit more storage space in the cabin, but we made it work.

1 Helpful Vote