• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Family

Sail Date: Apr 2022
Cabin:

What's not to like about a Viking cruise? This was my first cruise with Viking, and they did not disappoint. I was bit concerned about not being able to book dinner in the MDR or the one specialty restaurant for more than 2 nights, but then we found the World Cafe to be an excellent choice for every meal. And I usually avoid the buffet on major cruise lines. It was actually better than the restaurants. The cruise itself was lovely, and we had smooth waters the entire trip. The boat got a little scraped up as we transited the Welland Canal, but that became a running joke with captain. He was delightful too. Embarkation was smooth, though it took quite a while to get from the airport to the cruise terminal. Pre-boarding Covid testing was very annoying, as they required a saliva sample of 2 mls in a tiny test tube, so people were sitting around spitting into this tube in a very public space. I guess I am not a good spitter. We had to repeat this process every day, and although a bit easier to do in the privacy of the cabin, it was still extremely distracting from an otherwise very enjoyable experience. I understand the need for regular testing, but nasal swabs would have been so much easier. The public spaces were beautifully appointed and very comfortable, and we enjoyed the musicians. I love children, but I like being surrounded by adults only on a cruise. We visited the Nordic Spa, but did not do any treatments. We also made a point of visiting every spot on the ship, including The Hide, which we found on the first night. Each of the public spaces had something different to offer, and we took full advantage of all. I was a bit disappointed in the drinks package and offerings, as their "craft cocktails" are not often made with fresh ingredients (i.e - lime juice, grapefruits juice). I found some delightful wine that became my staple. Also, there were bar and drinks restrictions when we were in port that were not expected. They made up for it by providing 2 bottles of wine for every room, but I was not able to get the wine I really wanted to drink. I had a birthday during the cruise, and Viking gave me a bottle of champagne and a small, very delicious birthday cake - twice! once on embarkation day, and then again on my actual birthday. I really felt pampered by this. Thank you Viking.

Our cabin was comfortable, and even though we did not have a true balcony, we were able to open the large window for fresh air, which was nice. Temperature control in the room worked well, and we were able to turn the heat down at night which made for very pleasant sleeping. I loved the heated floor in the bathroom!

3 Helpful Votes