• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

Family

Sail Date: Jun 2022
Cabin:
Lighthouse on an island in the Inside Passage
General scenery of the Inside Passage.
Dawes Glacier outside Juneau.
Celebrity Solstice at Dawes Glacier, seen from excursion boat.

I chose Celebrity after being bumped at the last minute from a June 1 sailing of Cunard's Queen Elizabeth due to "staffing issues", despite being a Cunard Platinum World Club member. I chose Celebrity over Princess and Holland America because Celebrity is supposedly a "cut above" Princess in particular. (Tried Princess twice .. never again!)

PRICE: I feel like I got a pretty good deal on a "last minute before sailing" special (I bought my ticket two weeks before the sailing date). I do continue to resent having to pay double as a solo traveler, however. The cruise industry as a whole really "sticks it to" solo travelers.

PRE-SAILING-DAY: I received multiple emails and texts every day from Celebrity beginning several days before sailing, sometimes as many as a dozen per day. Almost all were attempts to "upsell" me on various products and services. VERY IRRITATING! And totally unnecessary. And those texts continued throughout the voyage via the Celebrity "app."

I was in Concierge Class cabin . All the way forward on port side with a view from my balcony of the goings-on inside the bridge wing.

The cabin was nicer than I expected, though somewhat smaller than a similar class of cabin on Cunard (192 sq ft interior on Solstice Concierge Class vs minimum 248 sq ft interior on Cunard Queen Elizabeth Britannia Club Balcony).

The bathroom layout was VERY good! Loved the sliding doors on the shower rather than Cunard's curtains. The bath linens were a disappointment ... very "Motel 6" ... thin and cheap. Great storage shelves behind a glass door in bathroom.

Plenty of storage on the wall above the bed, beneath the sofa, in the closet, in the dresser adjoining the desk, and under the bed. Electrical outlets next to the desk that fit all kinds of plugs. Television could not be watched from the bed ... had to sit on sofa.

The lock on the safe failed repeatedly but was always repaired within 15 minutes. The heater failed completely (it was COLD in Alaska!) but maintenance replaced the entire unit inside the utility access panel in the hallway within 30 minutes.

My cabin attendant Noly (sp?) was amazing ... far better than any that I have ever experienced on Cunard. Every time he saw me returning to the cabin, he dropped whatever he was doing to scurry down the passageway to open my door for me. Always called me by name. Could not have been any better!

Cabin walls are paper thin. I could easily listen in on normal sound-level conversations in the adjoining cabin.

The "curtain" over the glass wall and door to the balcony was appalling! It looked like a plain vinyl shower curtain that had been adapted to the purpose. And it was FILTHY! Covered in spots and holes and stains and just plain old dirt!

Concierge Class cabins include "use of a golf umbrella and binoculars" provided in the cabin. The "golf umbrella" was a cheap, small collapsible thing, and the binoculars were broken into two pieces. But the cabin attendant replaced the binoculars immediately when I pointed out that they were broken.

9 Helpful Votes