• Newsletter
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Caribbean Princess Review

Editor Rating

Some things not the same

Review for Caribbean Princess to the Eastern Caribbean
SweetPea66
6-10 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: May 2022
Cabin:

We have been pretty loyal to Princess, the service, the food, always top notch. This time? Not so much. But I am giving some leeway due to covid. Embarkation was a mess at first as no one seemed t know where we to go for covid testing.

Ended up in 3 different lines, then had to wait 45 minutes past our appointment time as the nurses did not show up. We did get fast tracked past everyone after though, which was nice to not have to wait in another line. Our luggage actually arrived very fast to our room, and we were able to drop off our carryons as soon as we boarded. Our room had issues that could not be fixed (scrub worn marked up walls, spray marks stained the walls, the carpet was stained/dirty, our balcony door had a seal leak and the toilet would flush only when it felt like it.). The food in the buffet was repetitive and lacked seasoning. (Past cruises it was one if the highlights!) The Dine Your Way had you making reservations at different times with different waiters, etc. Although we did not mind meeting new people each night at the table, not having the same wait staff was disappointing. Some days we had a great waiter, one time we had one who was just in a foul mood and made everyone feel like we had to hurry through our meal. One meal even lasted 3 hours and we have no idea why it was so slow. I'm sure short staffing has to be one of the reasons. We were on board to celebrate our anniversary as well as my husbands birthday. This info was provided ahead of time to the ship when I booked, but no mention of it, or special dessert as we had in the past. I assume it is due to not having the same table/wait staff? There are 4 specialty restaurants, but only 2 were open. As everyone seemed to have been given a voucher for a no fee dinner, we could not get in. In two weeks on board! I used the app, I tried calling. After nothing available on app, and 25 minutes waiting in the phone, I gave up. Yes, we went to customer service...at which point the gentleman stated I had to call the dining line. Yeah. Did that. He was no help. Ok, enough of the bad. The good parts were our room steward was wonderful, the majority of people were really nice and we had many great conversations. Most of the dining room meals were very good, the creme brulee was a favorite! Our bed and pillows were comfy, our deck was large. Most of the shows were pretty good (did not care for the opera). You could see how hard most of the staff were working, some seemed to never sleep! Our couples massage was nice as was the manicure I got. Because of the storm going through, we did have our massage in a room rather than on deck. We also had to skip our second Princess Cays visit as the waves were just too choppy to be safe. I wasn't disappointed as there isn't much to do there anyway. I think the call to not go was a good one by the captain. Those waves were pretty rough at times. Not the highest score for Princess this time, but hope to try again when things settle back to more normal. If they are bad then, time to switch loyalty. But hoping Princess comes back to full incredible service and food.

We stayed in a balcony room. It was tight quarters but the bed was very comfy. The room needed cleaned up as far as paint, wall stains, carpet stains. (Clean otherwise) The toilet flushed when it felt like it, which sometimes was funny.

Port Reviews

Princess Cays

There really isn't much more than a beach here so rather boring. Add in the "picnic" lunch they provide (The same exact thing for the last 20 years), it makes for a dull time. Thankfully I love to read so a day on the beach is ok with me once in awhile. They really need to have a pool, water slides, ice cream, slushies, ...something more than just a beach.

4 Helpful Votes