• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

Review for Queen Elizabeth to the Panama Canal & Central America
Janusbonus
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: May 2022
Cabin: Balcony (partially obstructed view)
Sofa need reupholstering.
Menu at hotel accommodation
This balcony divider rattled constantly. We were promised it would fixed but never was.

The cruise was going fine and we were celebrating my husbands 70th birthday. It all turned very sour when we both contracted Covid. I tested positive first and my husband 3 days later. It then became a very distressing experience. I was escorted to my isolation cabin, passing several other guests along the way. I was initially placed in an Ocean View cabin but eventually moved to a cabin with a balcony. The information provided indicated I would receive a welfare call each day and that never happened. My husband tested positive 3 days later but it took four hours for them to let him know. In this time he was asked to collect my passport from me and then take both my passport and his passport to the Purser’s office, where he stood in the usual queue, to go through formalities required. I had previously been asked to take my own passport there but suggested to them that this was not a good idea as I was in isolation. My husband never received a welfare call in his isolation cabin either. It was a nightmare to try and get through to the Purser’s office and generally it would take 20/30 minutes to be connected. No priority was given to guests in isolation in the delivery of meals from room service. We received no information regarding what would happen at the Port of Los Angeles until 1940 the evening before our arrival. Upon arrival Cunard could not get rid of us quick enough, they basically washed their hands of us. We were taken to an hotel in San Pedro to complete our isolation, which was adequate but the food organised by Cunard was disgusting and the first dinner we ordered on the first evening inedible. No representative from either Cunard or Metro Cruise Services was at the hotel to assist and basically the bus driver just said “this is it”. Covid positive guests then gathered around the reception area freely mingling with other guests staying at the hotel. We were then informed by hotel staff, quite aggressively, to remain in our rooms for 10 days. We all knew this was wrong and eventually rectified by email from Cunard to the hotel and ourselves. The duty of care offered by the Shore Care Support team and Metro Cruises Services was nonexistent, we were left to attempt to get in touch with them, which proved virtually impossible. It was only after my local MP in the UK contacted Cunard did we received a call.

It was a total shambles.

What we cannot understand is why we weren’t told Covid was prevalent onboard before we boarded in Port Everglades and that guests had been offloaded from Queen Elizabeth in this Port. Had we been given an option we would have chosen not to travel.

Balcony (partially obstructed view)

Cabin was very tired and very noisy, right above the Royal Court Theatre. Sofa was virtually worn out and full length mirror cracked.

Port Reviews